Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Escaping Fruitflies

Reaction score
Hello i am in need of abit of help!
When i feed my mantellas fruit flies how do i get them from the container they are in to the enclosure without them going everywhere? Also when tilt the container to get them out the bronw sludgey food in the bottom of the container goes everywhere! How do i stop all this is there an easier way?
Thanks

punctata

Reaction score
Your media or "food" is too watery. It was made with too much water. It shouldn't run down out the cup. If some are escaping your tank, put a cup of vinegar outside it, many will fall in and die. I pour my flies into another cup with vitamin/calcium powder. Once they are covered in the powder they can't climb. Then I shake those into the tank.

Reaction score
Your tips where really useful however when I buy the fruit flys the food is already extremely watery! I might look up a guide on how to culture my own and then I can get the food at a less liquid consistency.

Reaction score
Hi Try picking up windfall apples or crab apples in a strong plastic bin bag tie the top and put it in a sunny part of the garden for a week . Open the bag carefully with a net over the top the flies pour out towards the light give the net a few shakes and put the flies in sealable plastic tub and bung it in the fridge for a couple of hours .(that slows them down and makes them walk) Then you can pour them in the tank. Regards KB

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!