Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Escaping Red Bellied Newt

SockBear

Reaction score
Sorry for two posts in rapid succession! Fiance got home today to find a newt in the bathroom, who had somehow escaped the *lidded* tank and then walked all the way there, navigating through a bunch of my stuff because I was in the middle of a project. Our only theory is he got through the small gap between the lid and the tank in one corner caused by the filter wire, so now we're taping along the edge of the tank as well. Good idea? Bad idea? Tank lid also has a hole in the middle, but as far as I knew newts can't walk upside on the ceiling like spiders right?

Tank with tape, taped the under-side too so they don't stick to it:
IMG_20160419_225236.jpg

Newt looked a bit dry when we found it, but swam away immediately when put back in the tank. And I've never seen it climbing the tank glass before, so apparently it waited till I wasn't looking. I have no idea how long it has been out the tank, last time I counted the newts was yesterday. What should I keep an eye out for? Even if the newts seem happy in the water, rather than hanging out on land, are mad escape attempts a bad sign? The water parameters have been fine but I'll check them again now.

CatSpit

Reaction score
Glad you found your 'escapee' in time! Yes, newts are quite the escape artists, this link has lots of tips on what you need to do to prevent them from getting out of your tank.

Caudata Culture Articles - Preventing Escape

I use duct tape to cover any holes in my tank lid, first piece with the sticky side up and then just tape over it to hold it on. Sounds like you pretty much did the same. Do you need the hole in the middle of the lid? I would probably place some mesh over that just in case.

SockBear

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the link! Don't know how I missed that. Think I'll cover the middle hole too just to be on the safe side

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1