Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Establishing a captive breeding program for N. kaiseri

EVA

Reaction score
Caudata.org's N. kaiseri page: "In light of the endangered status of these animals, it is critically important that the animals now in captivity be bred."

We have five healthy 2001-2002 WC animals available for breeding (2 female, 2 male, 1 TBA). They are kept in individual terrestrial cages at ~15 C, 44% humidity, on a natural Pacific Northwest photoperiod. They are fed crickets and fly larvae weekly. They have been largely unmolested for the last 6-7 years except for by me (I lead school children on tours of our labs).

I am a graduate student in a herpetological lab that houses these animals. I am resourceful, my time is cheap, and I have been aching to try to help ever since I read your page on them. Before I embark, I have a few questions for this forum:

1. Are these animals too old to reproduce?

2. At this point in the year, should I induce a 40-50 day "cold snap" (5-10 C) then place them in an aquarium with gradually increasing temperatures (up to 20-25 C) OR should I move them to an aquarium ASAP (sans cold snap)?

3. Should breeding pairs be placed together in an aquarium or should I place all five together?

4. Any other general breeding/care advice?

5. Assuming we can generate healthy offspring, can you connect me with legitimate people/institutions with proper resources for caring for N. kaiseri?

Thank you!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

EVA

Reaction score
Thank you for your input. I have already read all of the threads on this board regarding N.k., but I still have some questions.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
My w.c. and c.b. kaiseri are breeding right now. My guess is yours are not to old to breed. I'd set them up aquatic or aquatic with a land area and let them have at it. They do well in a colony. Your temps should be fine but it wouldn't hurt to lower it a couple degrees.

It's the breeding season and healthy N. kaiseri aren't difficult to breed. The difficulty is getting healthy specimens.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that they are not too old to reproduce. Are they kept individually in order to reduce chances of contagion? From what I've read, aggression isn't a problem. I suspect that a cooling period would improve the chances, but I have no personal experience with this species.

Does anyone know... what is the current status of N. kaiseri studbooks for hobbyists? Is there an active one, and can North Americans join, or do we need to have our own on this side of the pond? (Sadly, I would say that zoos and hobbyists are always going to have separate studbooks, as hobbyists aren't very reliable in the long-term, and zoos aren't willing to deal with them. Being a herp lab, I'm not sure where you would fit in, but the zoo people might be willing to include you on their side of the divide.)

Last edited:

jimmies1974

Reaction score
When should I start to lower the water for breeding Kaiser newts? I saw one article saying Dec through March. Is this true?.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
This thread is real old. You might get a better response if you start a new thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!