Euthanizing Juvenile

Zobug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Zoe
I made a post about two weeks back about a severely bloated axolotl. I decided to let him continue on to see if he miraculously pulled through. I don't think he will. He's absolutely blown up like a balloon, and though he's eating and pooping, I can't imagine his quality of life with remain steadily decent. It might not even be decent now. I'm including a picture so I can get a general consensus on whether or not euthanasia is the best procedure for this unfortunate little fellow. :( And, if so, what the correct dosage of clove oil would be for him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 326
I'm not sure what is wrong with your little axolotl, but as the 'lump' seems to be growing I would also consider euthanasia. Here is a link that you can refer to, :- Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia

Out of curiosity, what has it been feeding on?

Hello Zoe,

I am not experienced enough to comment on the health of your axolotl. Safe to say I have never seen anything like it.
Neither have I had to consider euthansia with regards to any of my current animals. It has happened with a much loved pet cat several years ago, and this was on the advice of a vet.
I just want you to know that I understand that you are in a very difficult and unpleasant situation with your axolotl. It would be great if someone could tell you exactly what the problem is and exactly what to do about it, one way or another, but unfortunately that does not always happen. I would struggle with this sort of decision myself, torn between wanting to help the little one and feeling that perhaps it was already time to make a difficult decision, and want to offer my moral support in your current unpleasant situation.
Thinking of you at this difficult time.

This looks like it could be an internal deformity - I agree that euthanasia is probably the best option.
To make up the clove oil mixture it's best to use a large (empty) jam/pickle/sauce jar that you can dispose of afterwards. Fill it up with water, add a few drops of clove oil. Put the lid on and give it a good shake. Pour this mixture into a small shallow (disposable) tub, just big enough for your axie. Pop your axie in until he stops wriggling. Wrap him in tissue and place in a plastic bag in the freezer, then bury him the next day.
Freezing is essential, it will make sure any microbes are killed off, and the combination of clove oil and freezing will ensure your axie passes quickly and painlessly.

Thank you all for the kind words. It's hard to realize that he isn't going to get better after all the fridging and antibiotic treatments I've tried. But I know I did my best and he just wasn't put into a healthy body. I was responsible for bringing him into the world, and I'd rather take him out of it peacefully as opposed to letting him struggle and die by himself.

He has been feeding on live blackworms and frozen bloodworms. It seems like this started right as he was old enough to eat blackworms and just slowly grew.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back