Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Explosive poop

Kymmy442

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a question. My Lotl, Cooper, has been eating wonderfully and pooping regularly. We had a bit of a fungus issue, but its since been resolved. I noticed in the last 3 days, Coop hadnt had a poop! Well today, he roamed around his tank, ate all his food, and headed into his log hide. While in there, i noticed a small cloud of brown material float out. I peeked in, and noticed he was having a bowel movement. Then, all the sudden, that small cloud, turned into a huge cloud. It blew out of the hide, out of the holes in the hide...It was a virtual explosion! It was so much, that it freaked Cooper out, and he came zooming out of his hide! It made the tank, instantly cloudy. I quickly did a small water change to clear it up and remove the more solid poops. I cannot find a single thread anywhere online, that mentions explosive bowel movements. Has anyone experienced this? He has not shown any signs of stress. Hes nice and healthy looking. No curved gills, swelling, redness, fungus. His tail is straight, as well as his gills. Good color and good appetite. He eats the Invert Aquatics Axolotl Pellets. He loves them. He is about 6 inches long. The water parameters are.....Temp-62 degrees, PH-7.6, Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, NitrAtes- 20-25. Theres a Java fern in the corner and a large head of Rosette Water Lettuce. Both have been in there the whole time. I have a slate tile bottom. No sand. Nothing has changed in his tank. Ive had him for around 2 months. Any explanation or help, woukd be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!