Extra gill?

Kendra01

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there I’ve actually had this on my mind a lot lately, but it looks like guppy has two gills growing off of his one, it’s been like that ever since I’ve gotten him and he’s a healthy happy boy. I was just wondering what could’ve caused this? Is it genetic...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 354
Hi there I’ve actually had this on my mind a lot lately, but it looks like guppy has two gills growing off of his one, it’s been like that ever since I’ve gotten him and he’s a healthy happy boy. I was just wondering what could’ve caused this? Is it genetic...?
Could be partly genetics, he could also have been nipped as a hatchling/juvenile by another axolotl and it just grew back a little silly. Just makes him unique:)

I have seen axolotls with that extra gill thing going on and sometimes the extra stalks get caught on the other gill stalks. Just be careful and if that happens, make sure he doesn't scratch at it too much. I've heard of people taking their axolotls out, tubbing them, and just gently straightening out the gill stalk.

Your little guy totally has charisma though, so cute!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back