Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eye infection, not eating right

C

cecilia

hey guys my red eyed tree frog just got an eye infection, he got a piece of sand stuck in his eye and now he has a hard time opening it and its really irritated. it has a ball of puss over the eye when he opens it and hes always rubbing it...after this incident i took the sand out of his terrarium, and now im just waiting on the infection to heal. i have medicatrion for cuts and abrasions, that is safe to use on eyes it goes in thier misting and drinking water, but its not working fast enough because now he has a lack of appetite and its not from the meds, ive took him off of them and tested... hes getting soo skinny and getting really sick does anyone have any ideas???

C

cecilia

need any ideas on how to get him to eat...hes soo small i dont want to hurt him by force feeding him unless thiers a gentler way

pollywog

Reaction score
If an animal is under stress then they will normaly refuse to eat, how long has it been now? Try offering something different to the usual diet and dust it well as the stronger smell of the dust may encourage it to feed. It is possible to force feed but this should only be seen as a last resort.

J

john

I would go straight to the vet. If you have the money do it. Its not that expensive. Mabye $30. It would be worth it for the frog. Why did you have it on sand? They need high humidity. Sand is the worst substrate for any lizard, exspecially an amphibian. When you quarantine is over, use a coco-fiber substrate. For now, use wet paper towel on the botton of the tank. That will be good. As for the eating, try holding him and holding a cricket or worm infront of his face and see if he eats. Be patient, it might take awhile. Dont touch the food to his mouth or face, it will probably scare him into not eating it.

C

cecilia

umm for one this is lethbridge were talking about, our vets only specialize in farm animals...lol...right now i have him in moss for a substrate...the reason i put sand in his aquarium is because i was reading up on it and someone said that was the best thing they ever did for thier frogs....yeah bad idea....if i absolutely have to i will force feed him but only if there is no other way......ps its been about 1 week since hes last eaten, and everytime i give him new crickets, he just stares at them...or goes back to sleep....i know he hasnt ate because i have counted the crickets...

C

cecilia

umm never mind dont even bother replying he died in the wee hours this morning....;( cries out loud
cry.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    yeah, im heading over tomorrow morning to move him to this house and feed him. Thanks for the help!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    So my axolotl tank cycle just crashed and while i was in the middle of a water change my bucket overflowed and spilled water all of the ground in my brand new home. This is going super well 👍
    +2
    Unlike
  • the:
    ooff
    +1
    Unlike
  • the:
    good luck recycling the tank!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    do the classifieds still exist?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    nevermind! off my game tonight
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    Im so frustrated right now. My axolotl WONT eat and my tank still isnt looking too good. Some extra stress i needed.
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Sorry to hear that Shane. Did you post about it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    No, I havent. Im not really sure why he wont eat. Hes in a 1 gallon tub and still a juvenile. When i offer food he swims away from it. Does he need some extra time? or is this something I should be worried about.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Hello everyone! I’m new in this world and i need some advices please! I have 2 axolotl babies and currently the water from the tank is from bottled water ( all parameters are good) but i want to change 50% of the water with city tap water. My question is how to change it? Do i need to get axis out, do the change, add the prime, wait (how much?) until its dechlorinated or i can add the tap water directly into the tank with axis in it, and add the prime conditioner? Thank you!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    1. You dont need to take them out of the tank to change the water as long as you pour it in slow as to not rattle them around too much
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    2. add the prime to your tap water, for most conditioners the consensus is 5 minutes of waiting time
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    3.After 5 minutes it should be safe to add
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Thank you so much !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    I private messaged you a bit clearer instructions just in case
    +2
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    Where can I get blackworms?
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Ebay or Eastern Aquatics
    +1
    Unlike
  • noahc808:
    Does anyone know someone who can ship axolotls to hawaii? I recently did a water change and my axolotl died and there are no axos for sale right now.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    GadgetInspector has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    GadgetInspector has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sylvia88:
    Hello I'm wondering if fridging axolotl is necessary when giving it a salt bath? My fridge is unpredictable it just changes from freezing temperature to melting by itself. And driving me crazy. So I would not be keen to put my axie in these because of the sudden temperature changes it may experience. Can I leave him in a clean dechlorinated water tub in some of the room? Would I then need to refrigerate the salt water ? Or would I just keep it in a same room temperature?! I have everything ready for him to get a salt bath but just wanted to check about this fridging before I do ( waited for approval to join the forum:)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sylvia88:
    FYI I noticed a white fluffy strings on his gills yesterday. And looking through the forum and some pictures it looks like fungus .
    +1
    Unlike
    Sylvia88: FYI I noticed a white fluffy strings on his gills yesterday. And looking through the forum and... +1