Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fat or Gravid? Male or Female?

JacobDavies

Reaction score
Hey guys! I was wondering whether you could help me again, so I have bought 4 more Cynops orientalis from a woman locally and they are quite large and fat, I didn't know whether that was to over feeding or whether one or more is gravid. Also it would be much appreciated if you could have a go at sexing them for me! Thanks alot!!! :) :D

IMG_6923.JPG
IMG_6924.JPG
IMG_6927.JPG
IMG_6929.JPG
IMG_6932.JPG
IMG_6931.JPG
IMG_6942.JPG

All of them together:
IMG_6922.JPG

AuSu

Reaction score
Hi! About bloat, somebody more experienced could help you - I can't tell whether that's it or just a big lady...I'm curious trying to learn sexing and I'd say at least number four is female (that one which isn't fat at all) and number seven a male. In the pic together I'd guess you have more females according size and tail. Did you notice one misses leg and toes? These are guesses, lets see what other people say!

gclama

Reaction score
It would help if you flipped the pictures over but they all look like females. The last picture may have a male in the bottom left corner.

JacobDavies

Reaction score
Just an update, turns out they were 4 females and 1 male, all 4 of them are gravid and laying eggs :D I have a total of around 200 eggs and they are still laying... thanks for the help guys!:D:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!