Fat or normal?

Holly12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Stelly is my first Axie, so I don't know what's normal and what isnt. We got him on August 8th and he fit nose to tail in his 3" Diameter food bowl.

It's Sept 29th and he now over hangs it. So, he's roughly 5 inches or so. I'm guessing 4-5 months then.

But, he's just exploded in size it seems. He was so tiny and thin when we brought him home.

Does he look healthy or does he look fat? Maybe "he" is a "she?"

He eats 1-2 krill when I get up and mostly ignores the bloodworms I leave in his bowl. He maaay eat a few. Then at night I give him a bunch of BSFL. On opposite days, he gets one Night crawler instead of the krill.

20160929_190648_001_zpstk2ejvn2.jpg

Lol, it was taken at a bit of an angle, so the body looks a bit shortened. But, does he look normal?

Even if he was a she, I don't think he'd be old enough to have the rounded female appearence since he isn't sexually mature :p Could you get a top down pic? that would make it easier to see if his head was the same width as his body.

Sure, I will try to get that tomorrow. (It's hard because he's usually at the back hiding, lol.) I'm pretty sure it's roughly the size of his head, give or take. The who rest of the body looks fat too though, hahaha.

Hey,
Axo’s can grow up to 1 cm per week when they are young.
Krill contains > 13% fat this seems to me a little too much for a salamander. It does not surprise me that the mosquito larvae, not be eaten if you can choose between steak and sausage. Try a while halved portions and give him an occasional worm or small fish. I personally feed only mosquito larvae if there really is nothing else. (Which is never).

This is true about the steak and sausage analogy. I did order some axie pellets on ebay - the kind the scientists feed axies and I hope he likes them. He spit everything out today, which is weird. Normally he loves night crawlers. Maybe the pieces were too big.

At what age do i move to every other day feedings and then every 3 days? (So 3-4 times a week?)

Do not worry, they can keep this up for very long time.
Sometimes they simply just go back to normal eating after few months. Until then, they eat just enough to stay healthy. Give him time being small pieces of food. Do not insist and try again tomorrow or after a few days. He looks like he can a few weeks without.

He's eating again. Little pig. He did the want to be to get fed so I left the chopped up earthworm in his bowl and he ate it throughout the day.

Can I go to every other day and then every third day feedings at a year?

Can I go to every other day and then every third day feedings at a year? Yes you can.

Perfect, thank you. I'm assuming he's about a year at 9-10" long?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back