Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fatal Argument?

S

sara

A friend of mine had a breeding pair of Axolotls which had been together in the same 90 litre tank for well over a year. There were no other tank inhabitants. Last week he found that his female had been disembowled. The male was alive but most of his gills had been damaged. These animals were very closely monitored, There had been no sign of trouble as recently as 5 o'clock the previous evening. I had seen them myself 3 days before the event and they showed no signs of picking at each other then. I would really like to hear what other people think could have triggered this. Is it common for adults to fight to the death like that? Could it have been courtship behaviour gone wrong?

J

john

Not trying to be dismissive, but please tell me how one axolotl can disembowl another. It's a mystery to me. Aside from biting limbs, gills and the tail, I think it's a physical impossibility for one axolotl of similar size to "disembowl" another.

John

R

raoul

Sounds like a cat attack . Is that a possiblity any open doors or windows ?

S

sara

Actually John, your reaction was exactly what mine was when I heard this. That is why I posted this as a question. I DON'T know how one axolotl would disembowel another. The cat attack theory is a good one, and that was my first question to my freind, who says it's not possible. Given the setup he had I'm inclined to agree. As you say, it's a mystery. The injury consisted of a 1 1/2 inch cut through the belly in which the organs were spilling out. Again, the male had significant gill damage which is fairly typical of axolotl aggression. I'm going to assume from your replies that this is not a common occurence. Any additional theories much appreciated. Thanks

C

cloth_kitten

Are there any sharp objects in the tank?Maybe after a little nip they swam around wildly (as they do) and caught itself on something in the tank..(just an idea).

N

nate

John's right, axolotls simply don't have the physical tools to disembowel each other the way you describe it. Does your friend have a cat, reagrdless of whether or not he thinks a cat did it?

S

sara

I really appreciate all the responses. I think cloth kitten may be on to something. I thought it was an extremely strange scenario but I don't know enough about axolotl behavior to be certain it was impossible. I'm also somewhat relieved as I have been asked to adopt the surviving male. Thankyou all.

C

cloth_kitten

Hi Sara,
As you know I have 10 cats and I believe that rarely would a cat just "cut" its victim and leave it in the tank,it would more likely maul it and play with it around the floor.None of my 10 pay any interest in my axys at all (but I think I'm just lucky there),are there any hard plastic plants or ornaments in their tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1