FB problem

K

katie

I have 2 Firebellies that are almost a year old now. But they are only about 1 1/2 long. I have been feeding them live blackworms for the past year, since i got them. They also will not go into the water. I have tried many times to try to get them in, but they just dint like it. They are eating good ( i see them eat the worms every time i feed them, every other day) They are nice and fat, but dont seem to be growing. Anyone raised them and can help me??!! I ran out of ideas. Thanks!!

Katie, I could be wrong, but I don't think that size is TOO small. Is that measurement not including the tail?
Also, I suggested to someone else recently, as I have heard it working well, to make a place in a shallow watered aquarium for them to get out of the water, but not get completely dry. For instance, like a rock that the water just barely goes above. That way they can get to where they don't have to swim up to get air, but they can't get dry. Apparently this reverses a terrestrial urge in young newts ( at least that's what i've read.)

thanks, i was worried that they were to small. they are 2 in. including the tail. I will try that with the rock. Thanks

My Chinese Fire Belly also has an urge quite often to become terrestrial, so I encouraged him to enter the water more by adding a little rock in his tank that has three levels, two are under water while the third is only partially submerged.

As of recent he has been spending more time in the water. Newts are strange sometimes
happy.gif

There are some suggestions here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQhea.shtml
Keeping their skin wet will encourage them to be more aquatic. Also, shallow water with lots of plants may be enticing to them. It sounds like they are healthy as they are though, so if you don't mind keeping them terrestrial it isn't a problem.

(Message edited by jennewt on February 08, 2006)

I have changed their setup so that they are always wet, some parts are a little bit deeper than others. They seem to be doing ok, at least they are not climbing up the sides! I'll keep you posted how they are doing.

For those of you that have raised them...When do they go back to aquatic? Am i trying to early?

In my experience, they will go to water fairly readily at about one year after morph. Some sooner, some later, depending on their size and the setup provided. This is based on Cynops pyrrhogaster - I don't think you stated what species you have, or I missed it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back