Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FBT Breeding Questions

S

shawn

hi all i came home from work to find my 2 FBT's locked together one had the other in sort of a head lock i believe it may be amplexis they were at it for about 30 mins after i got home.
now my question is if it was amplexis how long before the female lays eggs, are fbt eggs and the way their laid similar to normal bullfrogs?
how long after amplexis does it take for them to lay eggs?
how long is the incubation period. etc im sure there are questions i havent thaught about and if you see a topic ive missed please fill me in lol
Thanks in advance for your time
Wolfie

A

a

Are you sure they are both females? my males grab anything that moves.
Ive never bred my firebellies, due to a very bad male: female ratio
They lay smaller clumps more frequently than the typical frogs.

AJfr0ggy

A

a

not easy, but the one that grabbed is definitely a male. the only definite way to tell if its a female, is if it lays eggs!
Females never sing (as in the oooooo oooooo oooooo call, not the release call)
Females are usually more pear shaped, have less bumpier skin, thinner forearms, and usually a lighter green

AJfr0ggy

S

shawn

if thats the case then i believe i do have a male and female
happy.gif

Wolfie

D

denise

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>A J J (Ajfr0ggy) wrote on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 19:02 :</font>

"Females never sing (as in the oooooo oooooo oooooo call, not the release call) "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Can you explain what the release call sounds like? I have a male that keeps grabbing what I thought was a female. For days it was fine but the other night he grabbed the toad in the water and the toad desperately wanted to get away so it made some kind of chirping sound.

S

summer

Help! how do i get my fbt to mate? i have breeding grass. any other way. maybe more light

-summer

S

shawn

i just give mine a natural light cycle adjusting per the season and i believe fbt's require i a minor winter season but dont quote me on that. also it may be easier tryin to keep just 1 male and 1 female if the female is gravid (carrying eggs) it makes life alot easier lol. 1 thing i have not experienced tho which i find weird is my fbts "singing" or making any noises.
Wolfie

J

james

you make a mist of water like its raining thats how in the wild and thats what i do.

M

mandy

hey I was wondering the same thing with my FBT's, all they do is mate... The female looks very chubby, does that mean she's gravid? I'm new at this. Today when they were in amplexus, I saw sperm in the water from the male-- but she wasn't laying eggs....she also seems to hate the amplexus... also, after she swam away, the male came up to her and bit her leg! He actually has her leg in his mouth for a whole minute...then he bit her back and tugged her skin with his mouth..is this normal? or do i have a Fatal Attraction? lol...

Wolfie by the way any luck with your toads?

B

benjamin

Males have a black, bumpy area near their "thumbs". Finding a female is really hard when I had some and was searching for females I found only two after looking at a total of 40 perfectly healthy toads. This sex ratio seems unreal for an animal were genders are decided genetically. I think the ways of nature must look unfavourably on females at some stage of development.

han

Reaction score
Biting her leg? Tugging her skin with his mouth?
These habits definitely are not a part of Bombina
mating-rituals. Is it normal? It is, for a hungry toad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!