Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeder fish

J

jesse

so what feeder fish do you guys consider the best for feeding newts that will eat fish. im just curious as to what fish species are being used out there.

K

kaysie

Fish are bad food. Dont use them unless you culture your own.

E

edward

I would recommend not using goldfish as they are high in saturated fats.
Cool water, cold water, marine and live bearers are all pretty well balanced as a feeder fish.
One of the notes to keep in mind is that many stores keep a copper solution in the tank to cut down on disease and there is some anecdotal evidence in Pelochelys bibroni of copper toxicity from feeder fish.

Ed

D

deborah

There was a time years ago when I stupidly fed my newts guppies purchased at a petstore... luckily they didn't die, but I am still mad at myself for being so ignorant.

More recently I have fed Danios purchased from someone who cultures them. The newts ate the smaller ones, but the larger ones just ended up stressing the newts... so I removed them.

I agree with Kaysie... fish aren't a very good idea in general.

G

grant

I breed my own guppies for my axolotl and he loves them. I put about 2 in his tank once a month just as an occasional treat. They are from very healthy guppies and I am sure they are clean. Breeding guppies isn't very hard so if you really want to feed them fish this would be a good idea (don't trust pet stores!!)

L

ll

Fish are bad food for newts unless you culture your own or buy them from someone who cultures them. DO NOT feed them pet store fish though

K

katherine

I just got an Oregon newt and they told me to get guppies to feed him. He died twenty hours later. Could this have been an answer to why he died? I had always fed pre-made food in the past but thought I would try this way because they said so. Guess I should have looked here first.

J

jennifer

If the newt died in 20 hours, it was not the fault of the feeder fish (and not your fault either). A healthy newt can live for weeks without eating, and can survive all kinds of poor treatment for a long time. You got a newt that was so badly mistreated that it didn't have much life left by the time it got to you. Unless there was something toxic in your tank, that's the best explanation for why it died so quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!