Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeder fish

Monnie122890

Reaction score
Does anyone house feeder fish and axolotls together? Or even shrimp?
If so do the axolotls end up over eating?

Noodlethenewt

Reaction score
I don’t keep then with fish they can nip their gills. Shrimp is fine and even beneficial they should be too fast for axies

losfrijoles

Reaction score
We used to put feeder fish in with our Axolotl when we went on vacation so she would have something to eat. This worked great a few times until we got a particularly aggressive minnow and now she just hides from fish rather than eating them. Same story with ghost shrimp: they bugged her while eating one day and she refused food for a week. So she is now alone in her tank.

Jrosenbloom4

Reaction score
Does anyone house feeder fish and axolotls together? Or even shrimp?
If so do the axolotls end up over eating?
I keep cherry shrimp with my axolotl. They seem to leave eachother alone although the shrimp go missing every once and a while.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I breed guppies to allow my axos to hunt when they choose. I also use cherry and ghost shrimp after they get quarantined. YOu can use white cloud mountain minnows after quarantine as well.

Quarantine is 30 days to watch for parasites and illness.

Jrosenbloom4

Reaction score
I breed guppies to allow my axos to hunt when they choose. I also use cherry and ghost shrimp after they get quarantined. YOu can use white cloud mountain minnows after quarantine as well.

Quarantine is 30 days to watch for parasites and illness.
I want to introduce white clouds to my tank when I go on long vacations so that my axolotl could have a source of food. Would this be a good idea? I have cherry shrimp but it's hard to tell if my axolotl eats them or they're hiding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!