Feeding African Clawed frogs reptomin sticks

They have to be trained to eat surface / non moving foods. I have two breeding groups of acf ,wild type and albino. The wildtypes were given floating pellets when they were young as part of their diet and will happily eat them. The albinos were introduced to floating pellets as adults and never really figured out they were food, if they were starved long enough they would probably figure it out but I haven't got the heart to do it. Persistance is probably the key, just keep trying, do yours hand feed ? If so try that, this species will readily take food from you, especially the females.

You can also try tweezer feeding them whatever food they are eating. Then they associate tweezers with food and the will start taking floating sticks via tweezers. Then start tweezer feeding at the surface. Keep at it and eventually they should eat the sticks without the tweezers.

I'm by no means an expert because for being a simple frog I have made a few mistakes. For some reason live blackworms or tubiflex killed my frogs I don't know if they over ate or the nasty worms actually ate their way out the stomach. But good quality frozen blood worms or small earth worms chopped up make perfect food for them they also seem to relish a population of ghost shrimp and baby guppies. Seems like I had drastic bad luck with them at first now they seem bullet proof. If they are getting good food and temp you notice they are not that skinny at all and quite robust.

peace

dennis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back