Question: Feeding Ants to Axolotls

richardtheb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, quick (and slightly odd) question: Can you feed ants to Axolotls?

I ask because we get these big ugly ants wandering into our house occasionally (carpenter ants), and it would be very satisfying to just drop them in the tank and watch them be eaten. Are they likely to go down well, or would they give my two small axes indigestion?

Their is no way you can be certain they are not exposed to chemicals or pesticides. They would not be safe food even if the axolotls would eat them.

I thought exoskeleton were a no no....

The mandibles on those things are awfully large, imagine if they bit your axolotl going down? Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the mandibles they have are very strong. I would be afraid that they would injure an axolotl.

Yes, the mandibles they have are very strong. I would be afraid that they would injure an axolotl.

That's a good point (as are the exoskeleton and pesticide ones). I'll keep the axies on their current diet of bloodworms and the odd earthworm, and go back to my original idea of squishing the damn ants with a large book.Thank god for hardbacks!

Bloodworms aren't a good diet either as they don't have the right balance of nutrients, earthworms or appropriate pellets are much better as they provide a better balance. (with the occasional bloodworms as a "treat")

Earthworms should be given as the staple and blood worms as a special dish

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back