Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

feeding axi my own platy fry?

eebydeeby

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, I don't have an axolotl yet but I'm hoping to get one in the future so I'm thinking ahead.

Right now I have a 20g tropical freshwater tank. I started out with 3 platies I thought were females, but one was male, and you know how that goes. Months later, there are more platies than I can count, and more being born all the time. The tank parameters have held steady with nitrates close to 0 (guessing bc the tank is heavily planted and I use pothos roots for extra filtration), but I know that won't last indefinitely.

Here's my axolotl question -- would platy fry be an appropriate live food source for an axolotl? I am planning on keeping them in separate tanks, as I know their environmental needs are incompatible, but I'm wondering if I could pop some platy fry in the axolotl tank every now and again. I figure this could be mutually beneficial, as I know live food is enriching for an axolotl, and it would be a way for me to keep my platy population under control.

I just want to make sure that they would be a healthy food source. Since they are breeding in my well-established, healthy tank and not bought from a pet store, I figure parasites/illnesses shouldn't be a problem, but please let me know what y'all think! Thanks in advance!

wolfen

Reaction score
axolotls will happily eat platy's and platy's will survive to a degree in an axolotl tank, the only thing that stops them from thriving is the cold temperature required.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1