feeding axi my own platy fry?

eebydeeby

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, I don't have an axolotl yet but I'm hoping to get one in the future so I'm thinking ahead.

Right now I have a 20g tropical freshwater tank. I started out with 3 platies I thought were females, but one was male, and you know how that goes. Months later, there are more platies than I can count, and more being born all the time. The tank parameters have held steady with nitrates close to 0 (guessing bc the tank is heavily planted and I use pothos roots for extra filtration), but I know that won't last indefinitely.

Here's my axolotl question -- would platy fry be an appropriate live food source for an axolotl? I am planning on keeping them in separate tanks, as I know their environmental needs are incompatible, but I'm wondering if I could pop some platy fry in the axolotl tank every now and again. I figure this could be mutually beneficial, as I know live food is enriching for an axolotl, and it would be a way for me to keep my platy population under control.

I just want to make sure that they would be a healthy food source. Since they are breeding in my well-established, healthy tank and not bought from a pet store, I figure parasites/illnesses shouldn't be a problem, but please let me know what y'all think! Thanks in advance!

axolotls will happily eat platy's and platy's will survive to a degree in an axolotl tank, the only thing that stops them from thriving is the cold temperature required.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back