Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding crickets to cfbn

W

wyatt

I was wondering if feeding my CFBN pinhead, or maybe a bit bigger, cricket would be nutritional enough. i would feed the crickets on a nutritional diet. I plan to breed these because i have so many herps that needthese in their diet. any advice on both those topics would be appreciated!

K

kaysie

earthworms are more nutritious, but there's nothing wrong with feeding them crickets.

my animals get crickets as the occasional treat.

J

jeffrey

Hi Wyatt

As my CFBN's are aquatic I have not tried crickets with them, so can not answer that particular question. I can say I have fed them bloodworms, daphnia, gammarus, the occasional brine shrimp and the eternally beneficial earthworms.

(Message edited by jeff_gandy on November 11, 2004)

J

jeff

How sure can you be that the earthworms are not going to carry some type of bacteria/parasites?

J

jennifer

I can pretty much guarantee you that most worms DO carry bacteria and parasites. The question is, are those things harmful to amphibians? Based on experience, I would say no. I can't say "never", but I haven't heard of any problems that could be traced to them.

B

billie

Is it okay for my newt to be living on a diet of bate worms and the occassional batch of crickets? It's absolutely the only thing in my area thats live that I can get hold of. He's only a morph, so I don't think dried bloodworm would interest him. Woodlice?

J

jennifer

Billie, that diet is just fine. Woodlice are a nice bit of variety too. As for bloodworms, most pet shops sell frozen ones, which you might be able to get your morph interested in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!