Feeding earthworms to fire bellied newts

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
§Sinner§
Hi everyone. I caught some earth worms and 2 night crawlers yesterday. I was just wondering how would feed them to my Newts.

I would be careful feeding wild caught earthworms...they can have some nasty parasites. I speak from experience!

Check out this link. I wouldn't be too worried about your wild caught earthworms. Just try to use worms that haven't been exposed to pesticides or fertilizers.

That helps a little bit, but i have 8 newts. That would take a long time to feed them.

That helps a little bit, but i have 8 newts. That would take a long time to feed them.

Well, considering they only need to be feed 3 or 4 times per week, is it really such a big deal to take 5 minutes to chop up the worms and 20-ish to feed them? That's really the only way that you are going to feed a medium to large sized worm (particularly nightcrawlers) to a small newt.

I know someone who has raised hundreds of juvenile newts using the method shown (chopped worm bits offered on a toothpick). Some things in life are worth the tedium and patience required!

Yeah I know, ill take the time on them.

i have used and still using mainly earthworms for juvies and adults newts ( chopped offered with toothpick) this sure take time and patience ( not every newt will accept them at first) but in my opinion is the best diet you can offer.

What about the smaller worms?

I have had luck wiggling thawed frozen bloodworms on a cabob stick for my little noto morphs. It took some time for some to eat them(about 1 week), but they all eventually did. I will introduce chopped earthworms slowly later once they get bigger.

Well, I caught come that are like 1-3 inches long

As a generalization (not always true), a newt can usually eat a whole worm that is the length of the newt or shorter.

Ok thanks for all the help everyone, it really helped a lot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back