Feeding/floating.

ge0h0und

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Fishy McFish
Well... I think I'm feeding my axies enough, but for some reason a few of them swim up to swallow some air. Is that a sign of still being hungry? Or are they just being silly and want to float all over the place? The one who does it the most looks pretty plump. Maybe it's just a big ol fatty who can't get enough to eat no matter how many worm bits it eats? :confused:

Re: feeding/floating.

sometimes they float when they need to poo or have an air bubble.
If it continues too long isolate it into a container with very low water this will decrease the chance of stress.
Or else try popping some plants in the water to give them something to hang out on.

mine was doing that too and he is pretty fat also... i was really worried for a while but he is still eating and he is starting to go down now...some times they beg for food though haha...just keep an eye on him and if he stops eating then you should isolate him and put him in a salt bath.. hope everything is alright

Yeah everything does seem fine, but they just randomly go up to swallow air. They're still doing it right now, but are also accepting the worm bits I'm cutting up. The floating just annoys me a bit cause it makes it harder to feed. :wacko:

If they are going up to breathe air, it might be that they are having trouble breathing air from the water - perhaps the nitrite level is high?

If they are going up to breathe air, it might be that they are having trouble breathing air from the water - perhaps the nitrite level is high?

They're still in tubs, and I do water changes daily. I'll do a bigger change today though if thats the case.

I'm sorry, I somehow missed the fact that they are larvae. Guess that's why the thread is under "Eggs, Larvae & Breeding", huh? :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back