Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding frequency questions for larval tiger salamander

Raella

Reaction score
So, I recently got a larval tiger salamander, thinking it was an axolotl. I know for sure it is not, and am prepared for that. However, one thing I am trying to do is make sure s/he has plenty of energy stored up for the metamorphosis. I am currently feeding it mostly super worms from a colony I am establishing, and supplementing with earthworms I am buying. I am hoping to breed some Canadian Mammoths eventually too. However one thing I am worried about is overfeeding. Since I am feeding it live, whole food (though I am cutting the earthworms into 1/2-1/3 depending on size) I am not sure how much to feed it. I know the rule is usually "as much as they can eat in 3 min" but I feel that does not apply with whole superworms. Currently he looks quite full and I haven't seen him poop yet after having two superworms in the course of 48 hours, so I am not feeding him. But I wish I knew for sure... If anyone could offer advice that would be great.

Californiense

Reaction score
In regard to its feeding habits, just treat it like an axolotl, and it will be fine. Look on Axolotl.org for the feeding habits and behaviors of axolotls. In their larval forms, they are pretty much the same animal (since they only diverged about 5 million years ago). Also, check where they came from in the United States with your breeder, whether he is Ambystoma tigrinum or one of the mavortium subspecies, and take the water from your tank to get tested for iodine, or more specifically the lack thereof. If they are a mavortium subspecies or have been raised in a low iodine environment, there is a chance that they will stay in their larval form much longer, even for their entire life.

However, if it is going to metamorphoses (which is most likely the case), keep it in the tank. To encourage metamorphosis, lower the water level and heighten the temperature. Feed it larger amounts of nutrient rich food such as, yes, superworms, canadian mammoths and earthworm. In the wild at this point it would most likely be eating tadpoles and fish larvae, and be mostly sessile. As soon as it metamorphoses, do not put it in another tank. Keep it in its normal tank until the gills fully retract and its limbs fully develop.

Raella

Reaction score
In regard to its feeding habits, just treat it like an axolotl, and it will be fine. Look on Axolotl.org for the feeding habits and behaviors of axolotls. In their larval forms, they are pretty much the same animal (since they only diverged about 5 million years ago). Also, check where they came from in the United States with your breeder, whether he is Ambystoma tigrinum or one of the mavortium subspecies, and take the water from your tank to get tested for iodine, or more specifically the lack thereof. If they are a mavortium subspecies or have been raised in a low iodine environment, there is a chance that they will stay in their larval form much longer, even for their entire life.

However, if it is going to metamorphoses (which is most likely the case), keep it in the tank. To encourage metamorphosis, lower the water level and heighten the temperature. Feed it larger amounts of nutrient rich food such as, yes, superworms, canadian mammoths and earthworm. In the wild at this point it would most likely be eating tadpoles and fish larvae, and be mostly sessile. As soon as it metamorphoses, do not put it in another tank. Keep it in its normal tank until the gills fully retract and its limbs fully develop.

Larval Tiger Salamander - Album on Imgur

These are some photos I have taken over the course of the month or so that I have had it. I got it from Petco and the employees had no idea where it was from. They told me it was an axolotl. Not sure how to tell whether it is tigrinum or mavortium, but I can tell it is almost guaranteed to not be neotenic- as cool as that would be. Any way I can tell how much longer until it is done changing? Does it look healthy, at least in the later photos? Any tips appreciated.

Raella

Reaction score
Larval Tiger Salamander - Album on Imgur

These are some photos I have taken over the course of the month or so that I have had it. I got it from Petco and the employees had no idea where it was from. They told me it was an axolotl. Not sure how to tell whether it is tigrinum or mavortium, but I can tell it is almost guaranteed to not be neotenic- as cool as that would be. Any way I can tell how much longer until it is done changing? Does it look healthy, at least in the later photos? Any tips appreciated.

Nevermind, he is just about done.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1