Feeding Jar

silverowl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Just wondering how old axies should be before they'll respond to a feeding jar or bowl? I have about 40 babies that are 7 weeks old and they've been eating bloomworms for a couple of weeks now. :happy:

if i understant your question correctly u mean if u leave their food in a bowl or a dish and they will eat it from it?

Idont know an exact time frame but i know that when my teacher got her axie it was about 2 inches long with its front and back legs grown and he happily ate out of a dish.

we kind of conditioned him to make sure tho. so wht we did was try to get his attention then drop the pellets right above the food dish into the dish. first couple days we purposefully dropped some extra pellets so it could obviously be seen. i conditioned my 5 inch when i got her by taking cut up worms and with tongs showing it to her, then dropping it in the food dish. they dont immediately eat usually but when i leave and check back in an hour or 2 the dish will be wiped clean.

dont leave it in the dish for more than 2 hours mx bc it will foul the water. axolotls can be very different behaviorly, i personally thing it just depends on your dedication to the tank as an owner. relentlessly put the food int eh dish or bowl and eventually he/she will figure it out. its kind of fun actually, now when mine gets hungry she just sits in the food bowl like "mom MOOOOMMMM where is my wigglersss?!?" also feeding aroudn the same time every day might help too.

even if u dont condition them while they roam the tank they eventually find the food unless its hidden in a really obscure place.

Feeding jars and bowls are usually used to prevent axies ingesting too much sand when feeding, so that kinds point to the axies being over 5". until then a bare bottom is recommended, and axies can quite happily root around on that for food.

I never had any luck getting mine to use a jar - they all seemed nervous about an enclosed space, and even now prefer tunnel hides over caves.

A bowl will probably not be any use either, the food tends to get scattered as the axies feed, so there's not much point in using one.

I agree with auntiejude. Until they are on something heavy like earthworms, they will scatter everything in the bowl around the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering how old axies should be before they'll respond to a feeding jar or bowl?
How long until they will respond to a feeding bowl? I don't think there is a age limit :rolleyes: I don't see why they wouldn't at a very young age, of course, as already pointed out, it is not really needed. It'd make a good experiment though.

Last edited:
You could just try placing the food in the jar. They'll use their sense of smell to find the food. With my axo I didn't have to "condition" him, he just found it.

I guess it would be different with different types of food but I feed mine with ed's fly meat pellets ( currently trying to switch them to earthworms but it's a real disaster) but my guys will find the pellets in the jars after like an hour but then I run the risk of one guy eating everything and the other getting nothing (it's happened a few times >.<) but still it seems to take them forever! I usually still end up helping them towards the jars (dangling my finger and slowly moving it towards the jars) or even straight up putting them in the jars. I've had them since may and have been using a feeding jar probably since july ( I used feeding jars with no substrate for a long time, just makes things easier)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back