Feeding 'lotl fish.

inkozana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stef
I would like to get some live, small fish to put into my tank WITH my axolotl. I want him to eat them, but I don't want them to eat him!
Also, I'm not sure if he will know to eat them, or if he will just leave them there.
How do I go about 'teaching' him to eat the fishies? And what sort of fish should I get? :wacko:

I would recommend guppies - they are nutritional and can live in the same temperatures and environment as an axolotl. You could breed them yourself (they breed like rabbits!) and feed your axolotl the babies? I would only use baby ones as like most fish, when they are larger they will most likely nip at your axolotl. You'd probably want 3-4 females and a male for breeding and they have about 30-40 babies after 30 days gestation.

Alternatively you could buy guppies from a pet shop but you will need to quarantine them for 30 days before feeding so would need a separate tank.

As far as teaching your axolotl to eat them, well I don't think you have to worry. My axolotl had never been given live food but ate 10 guppies in the first few days I tried them!

Okay, thanks for the help. I have a spare tank that I was using for salt baths. I can keep the guppies in there.

*runs off to research guppies*

I'm thinking of setting up some feeder fish, got a tank ready - my local Aquatics recommended Endler Guppies or something like that. Should be getting some in a few weeks.

I have a tank of guppies for feeding my axolotl. I started with 5 females and 2 males and now have zillions ( well quite a lot!). I hadn't looked at them as any thing but food, but I have become quite attached to a few as they are a right mixture of colours. When they get to a reasonable size they get put in the tank and are gone in a day or so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back