Question: Feeding question/worrie

aroseypeech

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just got two baby axolotls and i am concerned about one. one of them is swimming up to me everytime i got to feed them and happily chowing down on tiny blood worms, the other is reluctant to eat and when he does he seems to spit it back out. he ate when i first got them but its been 3 days. i think he may have eaten a little but that's more of a hope than anything

i was keeping them in smaller containers because i was concerned about their size but i have a large tank ready to go with super fine sand

Axolotls will sometimes not have a big appetite when they have just moved home. He may may just be settling in. Are you doing 100% water changes daily in the tubs? How big are the axolotls? Maybe you could try some chopped up earthworms and see if he likes them more?

they are about 1.5 inches i am doing 100% water changes but was considering moving them to the big tank. to the best of my knowledge there nothing in there that could hurt them

If you do I would suggest using a feeding tray just to make sure they don't ingest to much sand until they are bigger. Or in small tubs when mine was that small I was only putting enough water to cover him so the food was right in his face to ensure he was getting a good feeding. I have one adult tho that almost never eats. Atleast I never get to see it I have to let the blood worms sit on the sand and let her come get them later. Was a sudden change cause she used to eat right from the tongs and hands then just stopped.

thanks so much for your quick replies i was just super worried because it my first time with them and i was worried one was sick or something

If putting them in the aquarium, I would remove the sand until they are at least 5 inches. Or at the very least, use a feeding bowl as axiebeans suggested. But as long as your tank is cycled and all the parameters are in check you could add them to the tank. Personally, I hand feed my axolotls. This way I know whether they are eating and how much and it is also fun to hand feed them :) You may find his appetite picks up soon once he is more settled.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back