Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Feeding Salmon? :o

Zenna

Reaction score
Is it okay to feed your axie salmon? :eek: i figure it'd be better than feeder fish, prolly more nutritious, and i cant get earthworms here. takes minimal 10 to keep ur axie 1/2 full. thats how tiny they are. and cant buy them anywhere. but we've got LOADS of frozen sockeye salmon, would that be okay to feed her? :eek: prolly better than feeders! :eek:

Axie23

Reaction score
Have you tried using axolotl, or turtle pellets? there pretty good. i'm using turtle ones that are also good for axies, coz my pet store was out of the traditional ones. i'm assuming you have an adult axie? this may go against common teachings, but i know someone who OCCASIONALLY feeds here adult strips of weiner schnitzel (lol i don't know what it's called in cananda. it's pretty much strips of beef, i think? that are sometimes crumbed. i'm not sure if this person uses crumbed stuff. probably not. the axolotl loves it, as a treat!:)

pent565

Reaction score
One issue I can think of, is vitamin deficiencies. I'm assuming the salmon you have doesn't include heart, liver, bones, brain, etc. Pure meat is high in protein, and often fats, but doesn't usually contain the vitamin a, b, calcium, etc, that is needed for healthy axolotls. Worms are complete because they contain everything the axolotl needs, as you feed them the whole animal, not just a part. Feeder fish work the same way.

So, yes, it would be ok to feed her the salmon, just not as a staple diet. Feed it as a treat, and use nutritionally balanced pellets as the staple if you must, and can't get worms.

Zenna

Reaction score
maybe i could do salmon, and find something thats good in vitamins once or twice a week? o-o would that work? haha we've just got a shiz load of salmon and we really dont feel like having it everynight for dinner :p so we figured, why not make it axie food? :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Frozen-thawed fish shouldn't be offered to caudates. It's deficient thiamine.

pent565

Reaction score
I can't think of anything vitamin rich enough that offering once or twice a week would balance out a nutritionally poor food source. Eat the salmon, its really good for you, just not axolotls.

You can put it in chowder to make it thicker, plank it, season with different things to switch it up, and hey, its frozen, its not going anywhere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!