Feeding Shrimp Pellets OK?

tellison

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axie doesn't seem to like the earthworms, but does like shrimp pellets. Is this ok to feed him? also, is it normal for him not to notice food unless it literally hits him in the head or comes really, really close to it?

What are the ingredients in shrimp pellets (that is, are these made to feed shrimp, or are they made of shrimp)? If you find a good quality carnivore pellets, such as Hikari or Rangen brand, those work too. It could also be the species of earthworm you're offering. Some species have a noxious secretion that tastes bad.

Yes, axolotls are oblivious to food unless it wiggles or hits them in the head. That's normal.

The pellets are made of shrimp. Tried finding the pellets mentioned that are for salmon, but don't know where to get them. I'm basically looking at petsmart cause I don't know where else to go. I got the earthworms from walmart's bait shop - is there somewhere else I should get them?

I get my worms from walmart fairly often too.

The salmon/trout pellets can be purchased online directly from Rangen in a 40 pound bag (that's a LOT of pellets), or purchased in smaller sizes from either Michael Shrom (a member here), or the Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center http://www.ambystoma.org/AGSC/food.htm

Shrimp pellets + walmart nightcrawlers are an excellent diet, in my opinion. The salmon pellets might be somewhat more nutritionally complete than the shrimp pellets, but if you're using earthworms too I think you're good to go.

I've been feeding my baby (4wk) axie shrimp pellets for about a week now. I noticed last night that one of them seems to be spitting some of it back out. I'm working on getting salmon pellets but should I get something else to feed them in the mean time?

How are you feeding 4 week old axolotls shrimp pellets? At 4 weeks old, they usually haven't even sprouted back legs yet, let alone be large enough to eat a pellet.

As you are in the US, Fluvre, I would recommend finding live blackworms. Your axie will likely grow much faster with those.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back