Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding

Mash_01

Reaction score
So, my Axolotl, Mash, is probably seven or eight inches long and I feed her one nightcrawler per week and maybe four or five carnivore pellets two to three days after that.
Is this healthy or no?
My main worry is overfeeding her since she has a very strong feeding response (she'll often let me know she is hungry by snapping at the plants in her tank.)
I keep my house at a constant 67 degrees Fahrenheit (19 celsius,) so the water is likely well within the safe range.
I change out about half of the water twice a week, though I don't have anything that registers ammonia or anything else that could be harmful.
She is very curious about me and will actually come up to the glass and raise a paw in something like a greeting whenever she sees me.
So, is this a decent feeding schedule?
Also, what advice do you all have about testing water quality?

WaterLily05

Reaction score
That sounds like a nice feeding schedule!
For testing water quality, I recommend the API freshwater master test kit. Weekly 25% or 50% every two weeks is great for keeping the nitrates at a safe level.

fishkid

Reaction score
don't worry about over feeding too much, that isn't really an issue, honestly, I would be feeding at least a little more often. just make sure the axolotl's body is the same width as their head, that is an indication of a healthy specimen.

Mash_01

Reaction score
don't worry about over feeding too much, that isn't really an issue, honestly, I would be feeding at least a little more often. just make sure the axolotl's body is the same width as their head, that is an indication of a healthy specimen.
Thank you, I do appreciate the insight.
I have attached some pictures so that you guys have a better idea as far as her health goes.
Not sure how much you can gauge (I don't have the best of cameras,) but there you have her.

Attachments

• 20211012_172221.jpg
    20211012_172221.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20211012_172122.jpg
    20211012_172122.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 78

fishkid

Reaction score
Thank you, I do appreciate the insight.
I have attached some pictures so that you guys have a better idea as far as her health goes.
Not sure how much you can gauge (I don't have the best of cameras,) but there you have her.
looks a very good weight I recon, I'd say keep doing what you're doing unless you see a drop in weight

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!