Filter advice PLEASE

CLC33

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is a nice,quiet filter that does not cause a strong "current" in the water for a 29 gallon tank? I made the mistake of buying an aqueon whisper filter for up to a 50 gallon tank. It is extremely loud and the movement it causes in the water makes it difficult for my littlest lotl to even stay in place as they're still too young to have substrate. I have been thinking of an internal sponge biomedia type filter. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks 😊

Sponge filters are good. The air pump might be a bit loud depending on where you place it but it doesnt bother me personally.. You can also get an adjustable filter where you can adjust the flow rate.

^ That website has good filter options

Sponge filters are good. The air pump might be a bit loud depending on where you place it but it doesnt bother me personally.. You can also get an adjustable filter where you can adjust the flow rate.

^ That website has good filter options
Thank you so much! Also, the noise of the one I have doesn't bother me either it is actually a bit "soothing " like a sound machine or something lol. However, my poor lotls are quite distressed by the high decibels of the sound. They're still too young for me to use substrate in the tank and the current from the flow of the filter is so strong my poor light copper can't stand on all 4's at the bottom of the tank without almost drifting a little first. Fortunately there are plenty of plants and mopani wood as well as "resting leaves" attached to the side of the tank, but I have seen they struggle on parts of the aquarium floor that are bare which I also use for the "feeding area". I just want them to be happy and stress free! Thanks so much for your help i am going to go check those filters out now 🤗

Thank you so much! Also, the noise of the one I have doesn't bother me either it is actually a bit "soothing " like a sound machine or something lol. However, my poor lotls are quite distressed by the high decibels of the sound. They're still too young for me to use substrate in the tank and the current from the flow of the filter is so strong my poor light copper can't stand on all 4's at the bottom of the tank without almost drifting a little first. Fortunately there are plenty of plants and mopani wood as well as "resting leaves" attached to the side of the tank, but I have seen they struggle on parts of the aquarium floor that are bare which I also use for the "feeding area". I just want them to be happy and stress free! Thanks so much for your help i am going to go check those filters out now 🤗
Glad I could help !

I actually have the tetra whisper they suggest and maybe my model is too large however my little lotls are not fans of it and I am not sure what route to take but I need to find one soon, I want them to be happy and able to swim freely not fighting the current while floating off the tank floor when it's feeding time 😔 the bottom filters I am not sure if they would even work well, how loud it would be to them,etc especially as we are a good while away from the ability to add substrate and even then the only option would be sand or tile and neither seem compatible with a bottom filter... my apologies for what I just realized going on and sounding like I am whining. I am just at a loss and I don't know anyone with axolotls who can relate to me or give advice. In this forum you've been the only person to acknowledge my need for assistance and guidance so that I can keep my babies happy and healthy. It isn't as though I am requesting for my well being and I thought the whole point of this site was for people who cared about all animals and this species specifically especially as they're basically none in the wild and owners are helping keep the breed safe from complete extinction yet nobody with the knowledge other than yourself seems very willing to share information that would help ensure mine live long and happy lives instead of dying to stress related issues caused by a strong loud filter sound and current. That being said I really and truly appreciate your help and you taking out the time to do so. I saw you're from GA, I am from SC looks like you displayed an exemplary reason why we are known for manners... obviously takes consideration to possess and portray them and the South is also known for people being kind. Which also takes consideration. So again,thank you!

The model type of the tetra "whisper" filter I have on my 29 gallon tank. Although I think it sounds like more of a very high pitched grunt to my lotls. I can hear the water so that's nice however,without that it would sound very similar to billy Bob in slingblade doing the signature line "mhmm" incessantly at an extremely high pitched volume while still sounding very deep and gritty which is another reason why I'm so worried about how it sounds to them. I've noticed their behavior completely change when I shut it off for feeding time the moment I realized my light copper (not the smallest of the 3 but very dainty in personality, my smallest is actually a wild and is an alpha who I feel thinks it is enormous compared to the other two because he got territorial with what seems to be his favorite are of the tank Although plants and everything are aplenty and this specific spot isn't any more full than the rest and he nipped my other wild who is quite larger in length and girth even its head is larger but alpha wiley bullies the others even after they learned to stay away from "his spot" he seeks them out to swim at them then slightly turn right at the moment he would be head to head with them so I am probably going to get a 10 gallon for him to have all to himself. Their breeder suggested that when I contacted her asking if he was known to be hostile when she decidedto send him"free" with the two I ordered which I thought was very sweetand kind but became concerned once I had them a few days and observed his behavior)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210418-035047_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210418-035047_Chrome.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 146
I am a diehard sponge filter fan. They do a great job, are very quiet, and cause little water flow.

I am a diehard sponge filter fan. They do a great job, are very quiet, and cause little water flow.
Thanks so much! Any specific suggestions for which one you use as well as if you fill it with carbon, does it need a pump, if so what type do you use, any advice you can give and are willing to share will be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thanks so much! Any specific suggestions for which one you use as well as if you fill it with carbon, does it need a pump, if so what type do you use, any advice you can give and are willing to share will be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Here's a link to the kind of sponge filter that I get from Amazon:

Sponge filters work by housing bacteria storing debris and in the sponge. They draw water through the sponges and spit out the clean water. You do not need to add carbon to them.

You will, however, need airline tubing (standard size, this is available at any aquatic pet store or online) and an air pump. I recommend the tetra whisper air pump. You can select a size appropriate to your tank. These air pumps are generally pretty quiet; if you notice that yours is making a lot of noise, there is a way to fix it (some things inside are just misaligned), but you're generally better off exchanging it for a different one. The air pump should be placed somewhere above the water line of the tank in order to prevent backflow (I have mine on a shelf and put a paperback book underneath it to reduce vibrations).

Before setting everything up, I would recommend plugging in the air pump. This let's you check for noise and see if it's actually working (you should be able to feel the air output if you pass your hand in front of it). Unplug it (to shut it off) before setting up the whole system.

To set everything up, you will hook one end of the airline tubing to the filter and the other end up to the pump. It will be a tight fit, as it's supposed to be. I usually have to kind of wiggle the tubing on to both things. You will want to attach the filter to the inside wall of the tank before plugging in the air pump. Then you plug it in and should be good to go.

It's a very simple system, but still requires some maintenance. Every week, when I do a water change, I take out about 30% of my tank water and put it in a bucket. I then rinse off all of my non-porous tank accessories inside the bucket (hides, plastic part of the filter, etc.). After that, I gently squeeze the moss balls a few times in that water to clean them out, and then do the same thing for the sponges.

These are by far the dirtiest thing, so you want to do them last. This helps get rid of the debris the sponges sucked up, but the good bacteria will still mostly stay. You want to get rid of as much debris as you can or the sponges will not be able to adequately draw water through them. You should replace the sponges every 3 months. I personally replace the plastic parts every 6 months or so as well.

I like having the double sponge because you can replace one sponge at a time and leave the other in there so that the tank doesn't crash from losing all of its good bacteria. I often replace one, wait about a month, and then replace the other. To help remember which is which, I usually shove the older one a little farther onto the plastic holder (though be careful that all the holes are still covered up by sponge) so that it creates a noticeable dent in the sponge, even after cleaning.

Hope this helped, and please let me know if you have any other questions! :D

The model type of the tetra "whisper" filter I have on my 29 gallon tank. Although I think it sounds like more of a very high pitched grunt to my lotls. I can hear the water so that's nice however,without that it would sound very similar to billy Bob in slingblade doing the signature line "mhmm" incessantly at an extremely high pitched volume while still sounding very deep and gritty which is another reason why I'm so worried about how it sounds to them. I've noticed their behavior completely change when I shut it off for feeding time the moment I realized my light copper (not the smallest of the 3 but very dainty in personality, my smallest is actually a wild and is an alpha who I feel thinks it is enormous compared to the other two because he got territorial with what seems to be his favorite are of the tank Although plants and everything are aplenty and this specific spot isn't any more full than the rest and he nipped my other wild who is quite larger in length and girth even its head is larger but alpha wiley bullies the others even after they learned to stay away from "his spot" he seeks them out to swim at them then slightly turn right at the moment he would be head to head with them so I am probably going to get a 10 gallon for him to have all to himself. Their breeder suggested that when I contacted her asking if he was known to be hostile when she decidedto send him"free" with the two I ordered which I thought was very sweetand kind but became concerned once I had them a few days and observed his behavior)
AH I see. I use a sponge filter so I wasn't 100% sure those would work. I've seen people hang the exfoliating washcloths from the filter to create less flow and it works pretty well. TikTok <-- example

Here's a link to the kind of sponge filter that I get from Amazon:

Sponge filters work by housing bacteria storing debris and in the sponge. They draw water through the sponges and spit out the clean water. You do not need to add carbon to them.

You will, however, need airline tubing (standard size, this is available at any aquatic pet store or online) and an air pump. I recommend the tetra whisper air pump. You can select a size appropriate to your tank. These air pumps are generally pretty quiet; if you notice that yours is making a lot of noise, there is a way to fix it (some things inside are just misaligned), but you're generally better off exchanging it for a different one. The air pump should be placed somewhere above the water line of the tank in order to prevent backflow (I have mine on a shelf and put a paperback book underneath it to reduce vibrations).

Before setting everything up, I would recommend plugging in the air pump. This let's you check for noise and see if it's actually working (you should be able to feel the air output if you pass your hand in front of it). Unplug it (to shut it off) before setting up the whole system.

To set everything up, you will hook one end of the airline tubing to the filter and the other end up to the pump. It will be a tight fit, as it's supposed to be. I usually have to kind of wiggle the tubing on to both things. You will want to attach the filter to the inside wall of the tank before plugging in the air pump. Then you plug it in and should be good to go.

It's a very simple system, but still requires some maintenance. Every week, when I do a water change, I take out about 30% of my tank water and put it in a bucket. I then rinse off all of my non-porous tank accessories inside the bucket (hides, plastic part of the filter, etc.). After that, I gently squeeze the moss balls a few times in that water to clean them out, and then do the same thing for the sponges.

These are by far the dirtiest thing, so you want to do them last. This helps get rid of the debris the sponges sucked up, but the good bacteria will still mostly stay. You want to get rid of as much debris as you can or the sponges will not be able to adequately draw water through them. You should replace the sponges every 3 months. I personally replace the plastic parts every 6 months or so as well.

I like having the double sponge because you can replace one sponge at a time and leave the other in there so that the tank doesn't crash from losing all of its good bacteria. I often replace one, wait about a month, and then replace the other. To help remember which is which, I usually shove the older one a little farther onto the plastic holder (though be careful that all the holes are still covered up by sponge) so that it creates a noticeable dent in the sponge, even after cleaning.

Hope this helped, and please let me know if you have any other questions! :D
Thanks so much! 😁

I reccomend the Seachem Tidal 35! They are super quiet and the adjustable flow is great. I have one on my 30 gallon and one on my 33 long. Both are bare bottom with young axolotl and I keep the filters on the low flow. I also keep them on the side of the tank instead of on the back. They all seem happy with it.

I reccomend the Seachem Tidal 35! They are super quiet and the adjustable flow is great. I have one on my 30 gallon and one on my 33 long. Both are bare bottom with young axolotl and I keep the filters on the low flow. I also keep them on the side of the tank instead of on the back. They all seem happy with it.
Thank you! Still in the works of figuring it out,seems some days they're super content with it and others not so much

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back