Filter help

Blaze

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Blaze
Hello, just got some questions about my filter

It's the quietest thing ever!!! and VERY low flow, will not suck in Sunny or blow him away with a good spray bar. I know those are the two things they hate, but it vibrates againts the tank walls, not on the ground at all, and there is a hidey hole where he can hide and it's the fartherest away from the filter. They do not touch the walls so do you think it would be a problem? or am I a worry wart and all filters vibrate a little? it's not excessive it's only minimal vibrations and hes just hiding as I gather hes probably like WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS. Is it ok? He looks agitated and is opening and closing his mouth and I noticed his gills are being blown, but not very much, it's like hes trying to get REALLY far away from the filter.........

Thanks in advance,
Blaze.

If it's vibrating against the glass then you can use those little felt covered pads, the kind you put on the bottom of furniture legs to keep them from scratching up hard wood floors, it will help with reducing the vibrations. Rubber ones would be the absolute best though.

It's a suction cap one so it only suctions to the tank =[ His gills are a little forward but his tail isn't curled, I just turned it off as I was stressing to! Hes gone over and checked it out, do you think hes stressed because hes never had a filter before? should I give him one day with it and see if he gets any better? He can hide away from it if he needs to...

I think some vibration is inevitable with filters since its essentially pumping water through a system of tubings. You can try buffer the vibrations with the pads as recommended although most axies will get habituated to the new surroundings upon settling in.

What i am concerned about is the opening and closing of the mouth. How frequently does it occur and did it occur in succession? Rapid and continuous opening and closing of mouth can be indicative of pain in axies.

I would give him a few more days to settle in and get acquainted with everything, most likely it is just stressed out from the move. However, if that doesn't work then check around the bottom edge of the filter and see if it's not touching there. If it is you can put those pads there and fix the issue.

Sorry, the pads where? It is an enternal filter. Hes also going up to the top for a gulp of air and is still like gulping in water and spiting it back out? around 1-2minute intervals. Theres also a few vessels in his tail showing, I don't know if it's only that i've only looked close enough to see them or they've just come up. Sorry I'm just stressing, I don't want him to stres sout because of the dam filter, I'd rather constantly siphon it each day if it means hes going to be unpeaceful and stressed because of the filter!!!!

What about a really small sponge filter? would that work? Can someone help PLEASE. Does anyone have a aquaone hang on filter thats up to 40litres in a tank thats 40litres or under? His tanks dirty and the only way is a siphon but it's not working because the mucks floating. I'm stressed out to the max. He doens't seem to be but he will be when the waters this dirty! PLEASE HELP

I did ask in a previous post about one I found........... Could I have everyones thoughts on this particular type. I know there are standards, but those standards don't cover every filter. Would this one be enought o clean my 40litre tank?

In my opinion, i don't think there is a necessity to do anything further. As long as you keep the water current flow low and ensure good water parameters and temperature, the axie should settle down in a couple of days.

Rayson thank you so very much, put my mind at ease! I took the spray bar off and directed the current upwards and now only the top of the water moves and the bottom is fine. Hes starting to adventure out. His tail isn't curled (just when he moves around a corner or turns around it appears curled but isn't) and his gills arn't forward but they arn't flat back either, is that ok? I cannot see any prominant vessels in his tail and he isn't really going to the top. Hes still eating just looks quite restless, is that part of being a little stressed and he will calm down once he gets used to it? The only thing hes doing is whilst under the water and not moving he does this thing where it looks like hes filling up his mouth with water, and thin pushing it back out and his gills move the slightest bit when he pushes it out, it's a constant thing and he doens't do it when the filters off, another stress thing?

Your axie sounds pretty normal to me. Axies sometimes appear to be spitting 'water' out when they accidentally get some sand or detritus in their mouths.

haha, he had sand on his head this morning and one of the plants had been shifted hmm.... haha

Hes setlled down, stopped the mouth thing and is coming out more and geting used to the filter =] Hes been the best ever first Axolotl such a tolerant creature.

I can't thank you enough for your wonderful advice Rayson!.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back