Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter Needed?

Mark.H

Reaction score
Hi, I am building a semi-aquatic terrarium for my long-toed salamanders and I am not sure if I need a filter. Could I just siphon out the few inches in the bottom every couple of days and refill it? I am putting a bubbler in it so that may help. thanks

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Perfect! All you need is something to keep the water moving, which you have, and then syphoning half the water out every week. If you only have a 3-6 inch deep water section. If you have a rather large water feature you could consider an actual aquarium in size, than a small turtle filter hidden inside a cork tube would be better with less syphoning per week around 30%.

Beware, shallow with hardscrape to allow them to climb out of the water is better. Many Ambystoma aren’t great swimmers and can easily drown in adult stages.

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Hi, I am using a 30 gal tank with styrofoam to cover about 3/4 of the bottom. I am going to try to model this setup
so I think they will be able to crawl out. Thanks for the help!
They definitely will! A bubbler will do the trick for that water level. Sounds like it will look amazing. Good luck on your project!

Mark.H

Reaction score
We finished the tank a few months ago, here it is. :)

Salamander tank #1.jpg
salamander tank #2.jpg

Mark.H

Reaction score
A few pics of one of the guys, sorry the pictures are not that good. :) I believe "he" is a southern long-toed, but I could be mistaken.

Attachments

• 20210124_095347 (1).jpg
    20210124_095347 (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 218
  • 20210124_095344 (1).jpg
    20210124_095344 (1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 222
  • 20210124_095311.jpg
    20210124_095311.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 218
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1