Filter suggestions plz

harry7890

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Harry
I have a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank i am going to do for my axolotls . can you recomend a good internal filter system that i can use . suggestions welcome :D

No internal filter is going to be able to handle a tank that size.
(Without producing a great amount of heat).

No internal filter is going to be able to handle a tank that size.
(Without producing a great amount of heat).

i could get 2 one at either end :) and im going to have airstones aswell

I'm with Eric on this. Even at opposite ends, I think you will be generating a lot of unnecessary heat. Is there a particular reason why you want an internal?

Personally, I'd go with a nice canister type. You can sometimes find a decent deal for one on eBay. I think this would prove much more efficient for you.

I'm with Eric on this. Even at opposite ends, I think you will be generating a lot of unnecessary heat. Is there a particular reason why you want an internal?

Personally, I'd go with a nice canister type. You can sometimes find a decent deal for one on eBay. I think this would prove much more efficient for you.

i am going for internal as i dont have a lot of room outside the tank for a huge canister :) but i suppose any filter will do aslong as it does the job, can you make your own using a powerhead ?

You will find that internal filters are only really effective on tanks under bout 180lts or so, external is the only way to go with a tank that size (im very jealous by the way!) Ive been reccommend making a sump filter for a large tank, apparantly its very easy and cheap and very effective so might be worth lookin into building one (although it will take up valuable space!)!

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back