Filter Troubles

Kinn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Darwin
I am having just the hardest time finding the right filter for my axie.

None of the stores near me carry the sponge filters, which is ideally what I wanted to use. I've literally driven hours trying to find one. I've tried multiple things but nothing seems to be doing what I need it to do.

I have cats so I need to have a lid on my tank, so hang on the back filters are out of the question.

I've been trying different in tank filters, but they just are too strong.
My most latest attempt is the ReptoFilter by Tetrafauna. It is doing an incredible job cleaning, which is much more than I can say for the other's I've tried. But it's pretty strong, box says 90GPH. My axie seems super happy about the cleaner tank, but not so much about the current. She isn't showing any signs of stress, in fact less since I switched filters, but she is still getting tossed around if she moves into the wrong spot. Not to mention the filter is HUGE. She's in a 10 gal right now, plan to move her into a bigger one when she's older, as she's only a couple inches long, but still I want as much room for her in there as I can and the size of this thing seems pretty ridiculous. On top of that, the sand is getting pushed around and creating an ugly crater in my tank. Not exactly top priority problem but it certainly isn't helping the filter's case.

For those of you using those simple submersible filters that you just buy and plug, what is the power of them according to the label, what is it called, how well does it clean, is your axie stressed or pushed around by it?

Also what are the return policies of Petsmart? I bought this thing on a whim, and the man who sold it to me told me I could return it if it stressed her out, but it still seems fishy to me, returning a used filter like that.

They are really good with return policies. I was told even if i used it and put it in my tank and the didnt like it that i could return it :p a bit of a pain but still.

Thats a lot on a 10gallon tank! Have you tried breaking the water flow? I have a lid for my tank and i have a hob filter on mine?

Is it a spray bar or a waterfall? Spray bar you can devert the flow against the tank instead. A waterfall what i have is a tuperware container lid that i madeshifted to stay in place under the flow. Plus i have a sponge filter as well. I have 0 water flow at the bottom of my tank its wonderful!

Have you looked online for a sponge filter? Either a hob or sponge would be your best bet on a 10gallon

I got lucky and the guy who sold me my 25gallon happened to have spare sponge filters. Sold it to me really cheap. I love it because it uses my air pump so i can control the flow.

HERE is a good one on ebay
if you have paypal and can wait a few days I would definitely get a good sponge filter
they have several sizes, the xy 380 is for a 20 gallon tank

I'm glad to hear that. :D It's currently in my tank, and I'm very impressed with how much it's done cleaning wise, it's been in there for probably 9 or so hours now. I was expecting to see results slowly over a weeks time. Though like I said way to strong. Should I take it out now so I can return it or do you think it will be fine to return either way?

What kind of lid is that? I grabbed a grate lid, the type you'd see on a reptile terrarium. It wraps around the edges so I assumed a hang on the back wouldn't work with it?

It's a waterfall. I might try that Tupperware lid trick, it would help with the sand crater at the very least I'm sure.

I have tried looking online for a sponge filter but I have no idea what I'm looking for. I tried on youtube to see how they are set up and it only confused me more. Could you please explain everything I need to get a sponge filter running? I already have a pump, but I'm confused on all these other parts that these videos show I need?

On a side note, I've been doing more research on corner filters, anyone have the Fluval Nano Aquarium Filter? Does it clean well? Are the loud sounds as bad as they say it is? Is the lowest setting good for an axolotl?

Thanks for the link Mackinthebox! I knew sponge filters were cheap but I didn't realize how much so :)
Which one of those would be a good size for my 10 gal?

Edit://
Also I just noticed they don't ship to Canada so that's a problem haha.
I don't know why it's such a problem getting sponge filters around where I live.

I would get the XY 380 from that link, it good for up to 20 gallons and sponge filters have very little flow

you will need air tubing and an air pump to run a sponge filter, thats it :)
the filter in this tank has a built in diffuser so you dont need an air stone

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem?itemId=290773699171&cmd=VIDESC i think thats the one i was just quoting lmao. This one seems great and a decent price.

All you need is a air pump and i would also suggest a air control valve(they are very very cheap at the pet store, its just a tiny valve to control the air flow)

Im guessing the one i have is old, its green and the style is different then i can find. This is the closest to what i have. I love it a lot! Its wonderful. Every month you just take the sponge out and squeeze it in your bucket of tank water from a water change and put it back in. Doesnt need to be replaced till it falls apart. Ive been runnin mine for three months.

I have an interpet filter in my tank. It had a lever so you could reduce the flow but I accidentally snapped the lever off so the filter is stuck on a fast flow. I now tie shower puffs to the outlet and it's really helped. :happy:

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 249
I've got a submersible filter that does the "push axies around the tank" trick. I stuck a nice big rock in front of it and that's fixed it completely!

Thank you all for your advice and responses. I'm going out today to return the filter I have, and I have looked up pet stores that only work with aquariums and fish, so wish me luck, hopefully someone has a sponge filter there :)

I get alot of my aquatic supplies at bigalsonline.com, they are based in Canada. Customer service is awesome. Hope this helps,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back