Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filtration system

jsp

Reaction score
This is to filter a 40 gallon long . Since I'm getting a chiller for this and will need a water pump anyway I'm thinking of using a 10 gallon tank as a filter.The 10 will be under the 40 and I have questions about safety during a power failure,filter media (sand ?) as well as the practicality of the idea as a whole. This may even be overkill for a lightly stocked 40. Could anyone recommend a good book on the subject ? or I'd love to hear your ideas as well.
Thank You

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are dead set on using a sump filter the Interpet manual of tank busters ISBN 0861014731 has an excellent chapter on custom filtration systems. Personally I would say it's overkill for salamanders and making it escape proof would be tricky. I run a Eheim ecco pro external cannister filter and reeflex uv steriliser on my 35 gallon tank and the water is always crystal clear. For small aquatic newts many people don't run a filter at all and rely on lots and lots of live plants to maintain water quality, but larger species like Axolotls really need a filter of some sort in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Edit: Most ways of installing a sump filter require the main aquarium to be drilled for the gravity feed to the sump so this is something else to think about.

jsp

Reaction score
Oh' no I'm not dead set on anything yet. The only equipment I have is the tank and the chiller. I would like to keep the amount of equipment in the tank to a minimum but whatever it takes to do it right. The chiller is the coralife 1/10 hp model It hasn't arrived yet but it should be here any day. I understand lighting isn't so important to newts so I'm going with a cheaper LED setup.I have ton's of slate in my yard I'll use for rocks but I'll probably end up buying a couple of nice pieces of driftwood. Substrate will be pool filter sand.My well water has a ph of about 7.5 and the water is quite hard. I refuse to alter the water chemistry.I'll pick a newt that likes my water chem although I don't believe this will be an issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!