Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Finding yellow spotteds

Munfy

Reaction score
Hi.
I have recently been trying to find spotted salamanders, I believe I have found some promising spots, but I just keep finding redbacks. I am hoping for some of you with more expieriance may be able to help? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallguy

Reaction score
I generally had luck finding them near the pools they spawned in before they dispersed. That being said I usually found them in April.

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I've heard a good way to find some is driving on country roads or walking in the woods at night with a bright flashlight on a warm, rainy, Spring night. The yellow spots should really stand out.

Munfy

Reaction score
I did get out the other day, and found some nice vernal pools that look like they would be suitable. Do you know what type of land they prefer? I figured that gentle slopes near the vernal pools would be best, so the ground won't be too water logged. Does that sound right to anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve B

Reaction score
They are found primarily in hardwood and mixed deciuous forest habitats, but may be found in mesic floodplains if forest cover is present.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1