Question: Fine gravel

daremo

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi

I changed my substrate from bare bottom to fine gravel a week ago and now I see that my axie has 2 reddish fingers, is it possible that the gravel is cutting him???

I cleaned it well, and I have some left in a bucket and to be honest, when I stir it it doesn't cut, it's not like Caribbean sand but it didn't feel like it could hurt.

Now I am worried, should I be or I am overreacting and he may have cut himself with something else? Its not the first time I see his fingers like this with bare bottom too...

the gravel is the one in the right on the picture, it's not the best, I'll try to take a picture tomorrow with better light...

Taking it out now would be complicated :'(
and I already added more plants with the substrate
img

another picture of the gravel

grava002.jpg

I don't know that the gravel would do any damage but it looks to be a little deep. The depth shouldn't be a factor for injury but if too deep, gases could become trapped and cause you problems with water chemistry later.

Do you have anything else in the tank that might have a sharp edge on it? When you say reddish, do you mean like bloody or like a rash? Maybe there could be something else like some sort of infection or reaction rather than an injury.

If you could, post a close up pic of the feet you are referring to?

that's not a picture of my tank, it was just to show the kind of gravel I have...

I will try to take a picture tomorrow with sun light, meanwhile I'll check on him... it's not the first time I see his feet like this

They look reddish like bloody

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back