Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly eft

Michaelmiskimm167

Reaction score
My first fire bellied newt has came to land and lost his gills. What should I do next? I’ve seen a few videos but always seek the best advice as a beginner

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
I generally hear people say set them up as terrestrial salamanders, I have never kept them though so I'm not completely sure.

JM29

Reaction score
Yes, like very small salamanders.
They need tiny preys, like springtails, little fruitflies, enchytreas.
Some people use pinhead crickets but I've had issues with them.

Give them a wet (damp) zone and a drier zone, so that tey can chose where they want to stay.
And, of course, an hermetic lid to avoid evasions...

seandelevan

Reaction score
I literally take the dirt from my earthworm enclosure which is filled with little critters and lay a half inch down in a ten gallon tank. Put Java Moss, rocks, pieces of bark, leaf litter and other miscellaneous plant cuttings from my planted fish tank. They’ll scavenge around a bit but eventually will need bigger pray like baby worms or pieces of small worms. My cynops pyrrhogasters became efts this time last year and they are still efts. Some barely bigger than when they first morphed, others 3 times bigger. The bigger ones will probably start becoming aquatic within the next few months.

parski

Reaction score
How do you know when they are becoming aquatic again? Mine are still unhatched eggs but I'd like to know these things well in advance so that I can be proactive.

JM29

Reaction score
Theoretically, they remain terrestrial until they become adult.
In fact, you can try getting them back to water about 1 year after metamorphosis, but not all of them will accept that.
I once managed to make one eft get back to water after 6 months terrestrial life.
Another one never left water after metamorphosis ; this one is growing very fast.

I'm trying to keep some efts semi-aquatic after metamorphosis, with one inch deep water and a lot of aquatic plants (Java fern, Java moss).

parski

Reaction score
Do you try getting them back by dropping them in a semi-aquatic tank with deep water, a purely aquatic tank or in a terrestrial tank with shallow water and determine that they are drawn to the water? I'm trying to determine if "try getting them back to water" means dropping them in an aquarium and making sure they breath within two minutes (?) or if there's more of a gradual process.

JM29

Reaction score
When I said "try getting them back to water",
I meant
"wait for a weekend when you're at home. Put them in shallow water (1 to 2 inches deep - the length of the animal) with a lot of aquatic plants so that they can climb on the plants to easily reach the surface and not draw. Detect the efts which are reluctant to stay in the water (they never put their head in the water and try to climb outside the tank) and put them back in their terrarium (Next time perhaps).

If an eft eats underwater, you've won

Update : once metamorphosed but still in water, it's very important to feed them a lot. I feed mine with frozen bloodworms, change the water every other day to keep a good water quality and I'm helped by little snails (Physis) to get rid of uneaten food.

Last edited:

parski

Reaction score
When I said "try getting them back to water",
I meant
"wait for a weekend when you're at home. Put them in shallow water (1 to 2 inches deep - the length of the animal) with a lot of aquatic plants so that they can climb on the plants to easily reach the surface and not draw. Detect the efts which are reluctant to stay in the water (they never put their head in the water and try to climb outside the tank) and put them back in their terrarium (Next time perhaps).

If an eft eats underwater, you've won

Update : once metamorphosed but still in water, it's very important to feed them a lot. I feed mine with frozen bloodworms, change the water every other day to keep a good water quality and I'm helped by little snails (Physis) to get rid of uneaten food.
This is great information. Thank you for sharing! My first efts hatched today do I still have ways to go but I will come back to this post in due time. Again, thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1