Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Belly Newt stopped eating

ReptileAddict

Reaction score
My male fire belly newt stopped eating after I changed his tank arrangement. He hasn't eaten in a week and I'm starting to get worried. I feed him frozen bloodworms. He has no heater and the temp is about 64 F in the water. He was eating fine at first but he just stopped eating. He is also about 4 inches.

astamir

Reaction score
try live bloodworms! Is he in the water? If not what is the air temperature? I have noticed that my newts kind of slow down (become sluggish and not interested in food) at air temps lower than 60 F.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How much of a change?
Bloodworms, both frozen or live are an incomplete food that will eventually lead to severe deficiencies if used as a staple. You should be feeding your newt earthworms as the basis of its diet.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
If you try some live earthworms, blackworms, whiteworms, or bloodworms, you might have better results. The movement could entice him to eat. It's also always possible that he's stressed or ill, which will sometimes keep newts from eating.

sde

Reaction score
How big a change was it? i.e. new filter, change in filter flow, changes in lighting etc.? So is it only your male? Or is there other females/newts in there with him? If there is, are they eating fine? Is there any fish with him? Take the others advice and start feeding worms, make sure they are not too big though, or it may discourage him from eating them. You can chop them if you need, they will still wiggle a bit. How long have you had him for? And did you get him from a pet store? -Seth

ReptileAddict

Reaction score
Okay I'll try to feed live bloodworms and other food.
The change was I added plants, a sponge filter,an underwater hiding cave and I took out the pebbles so that the bloodworms can be easier to find and they won't go in between the pebbles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!