Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly newt walking weird

kellsnotokay52

Reaction score
My adult firebelly newts laid eggs last year, I currently have 68 little newts. They moved out of water and are now on land. They are about a year old. Some of them have started to move back into the water. I have two large tupperwares with 30 in each, half land half water. They seem to do very well, they eat good... I feed them frozen bloodworms. The other day I noticed one of my newts couldn't walk some of my newts were on top of him. I put him in his own tank and treated the tank with melafix. He falls over when he walks and is always curled in a little ball. I do think he's gotten better he walks better and is interested in food. But I noticed another newt walking weird too. It's back legs were stretched back by its tail and they drag themselves. I'm not sure the sex but they are very big in the belly. Are any of these behaviors normal if they were laying eggs? Are they too young to lay eggs? When my adults laid eggs I was on vacation so I didn't get to see what it was like. If laying eggs is not an option then what could be going on? How can I help?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1