Fire belly newt won't eat

A

angela

My fire belly newt won't eat. I have had him for two weeks and he hasn't eaten since. Ive tried the pellets and blood worms. I have turned the light off and stayed away from the cage He shares a cage with a fire belly toad and a catfish and a sucky fish they are all very small but healthy. Some one told me that maybe the frog is trying to kill him . Please help me he looks terrible.

Ok, the newt needs to be seprated from the other animals to begin with. Newts prefer colder temperatures than the other animals in your tank. Also, they live in fishless ponds in their native habitat. The frog or fish may very well kill him, read this link:

www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/articles/Mixing_disasters.html

Finally, try live foods such as live blackworms and earthworms instead of pellets, many newts simply will not eat pellets.

Help!!!!!!!!!... I have two Firebelly Newts in a ten gallon tank. Half water half land. I have them about six months now,and growing and eating fine. Now they are staying on the land part and refused to eat anything... Ammonia in water is '0'... Is there any advice that you can give me on what is going on with them, or is this just a stage that they go through.. Please email me back right away.. thanks ...!!!!!!

Has the temperature been warmer lately? Added anything new to the tank? Have you been doing regular partial water changes? Even with no ammonia, there are other things that can build up in the water if none is being removed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back