Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Belly Toad Feeding?

D

denise

Hi, I'm just wondering how long Fire Belly Toads can go without being fed. I know my fish are okay for a week but I wonder how many days can the toads go without food before I need to get someone to come in and feed them. How many crickets or worms each should I feed the toads before I leave?

I may have to go away and the toads would not be fed for four days.

A

a

They should be fine for a week.
Maybe feed extra for a few weeks before you go away, so they get a good fat reserve.

Ajfr0ggy

D

denise

HMM? even if they aren't adult you feel they could go that long without eating? Another forum told me they couldn't got any longer than 2-3 days.

E

edward

If they are chunky looking then I wouldn't begin to worry for more than a week. Real small metamorphs should be fed daily but even they can go several days without food...

Ed

A

a

Im not sure a juvenile would last very long without food (I guess i presumed they were adults, sorry), but i think an adult would probably last a few months, all though after a few weeks they would get weak. I often only feed once a week, and they remain at a healthy weight.

AJfr0ggy

A

ajfr0ggy

I only usually feed mine once a week, theyre kept at room temperature, and have been nice and healthy for nearly 3 years!
Feeding them too often only makes their viv too messy, as they dont use all the food.
A baby however, would need regular food so they can grow aswel.

AJfr0ggy

J

james

that is a very bad keeper of firebellys you should atleast feed them every other day or theyll eat each other if you have more then one.

E

edward

They do not need to be fed this often. Depending on the temperature feeding twice a week is often more than sufficient to supply all of the food required.
Cannabalism only occurs with animals of significantly disaparate size.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!