Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Belly TOAD question

H

harpy

Can the Oriental toads be kept with ANYTHING else?? I would love to set up a tank with firebelly newts and firebelly toads.. But I am wary about mixing species.. If not newts, can they be kept with fish??

tell me what you think..

harpy

R

rob

Firebelly toads are an effective hunter that will eat anything that can fit in its mouth. Don't keep it with the newts...the frog will eat the newt and then the frog will die..both animals lost. If you want to keep it with fish do it with cheap animals you don't mind losing, like guppies. Make sure the guppies are healthy though as you don't want them to spread any disease to the frogs. I would suggest just keeping them alone though.

Rob

M

matt

Very well put Rob - Harpy, you need to keep these in a single species set-up.
Other reasons not to mix some toads with other amphibians include skin toxicity and amplexus - other species getting grabbed by lusty males.

H

harpy

NEVER MIND!!

ufo.gif
Guess I spaced out a bit..

I JUST READ ALL THE STORIES ON THE ARTICLE SECTION.. I WILL NOT BE MIXING ANYTHING...

THANKS FOR NOT YELLING TOO MUCH.
HARPY}

A

amanda

I have a quick question... Are Red Fire Belly Toads toxic to humans.. Can they cause death threating illness... What age can children should handle these toads...
Thanks

C

chris

The best thing to do is not hold them(it causes alot of stress)

Amphibians aren't pets you get to cuddle.
animal.gif

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
red fire bellied toads are not toxic ebnough to cause Healthy humans any problems apart from maybe sneezing or irritation to the eyes, if however one is allergic to the specific toxin matters are different of course, personally I think they are quite safe to keep for kids if they are not touching them too often, causes stress to the animals...greets, robbos

D

denise

How is the best way to move FBT's if you aren't suppose to handle them? I will be moving in a couple of months and I plan to buy some toads before I move. How do I move them from their home into a temporary container to move them?

A

a

getting them to go into a smaller container then moving them that way is easiest. If you have to use your hands, you have to was them alot in clean soap free water, and keep handling as short and a stress free as possible. This is probably most important when they're knew.

AJfr0ggy

jessica

Reaction score
Another thing I do is kind of guide them with minimal hand contact into a fish net and then cover my hand over the net to prevent escape. I do this to put them in their temp home while cleaning their real tank. If you're concerned about moving them like in a vehicle I've read it's best to use like a critter keeper and use wet paper towels so they don't "slosh" around and get injured.

K

kim

I have a question. Do FBT have to live in a half and half tank?

(Message approved by admin)

S

summer

hi kim, i'm summer and i have 4 fire bellied toads. my cage is not a half and half one. but there is water and there is land. as long as there is water and their is land it should be fine. if u have another ? email me at this add.
frogloverslt@aol.com

S

shawn

i think i must be weird or something but... i have absolutely no problems keeping newts with frogs and fbts have had them in the same tank from the get go. and i know that alot of people do have mixxed species problems maybe im the exception or my animals are lol.
Wolfie

D

denise

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Shawn R (Wolfie) wrote on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:25 :</font>

"i think i must be weird or something but... i have absolutely no problems keeping newts with frogs and fbts have had them in the same tank from the get go. and i know that alot of people do have mixxed species problems maybe im the exception or my animals are lol.
Wolfie"
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Hi Wolfie, I think this is interesting that you have not had any troubles having the newts and toads together. Can I ask you, were they all put together at the same time and were they relatively the same size? From what I've read the danger seems to be that the toads are usually much bigger than the newts and they see the newts as prey. However, if they all grew up together they would be around the same size so maybe the toads don't even consider them a meal.

jessica

Reaction score
Well Denise just an FYI if it works for Wolfie and we can talk him out of it,then so be it. But the other risk besides the toads eating/biting the newt is the toxins. I have posted before that my first two newts didn't make it and I believe it was from the time they spent with the toads. I now have a newt in his own tank and he seems to be doing well.

D

denise

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Jessica (Foltsjr315) wrote on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:54 :</font>

"Well Denise just an FYI if it works for Wolfie and we can talk him out of it,then so be it. But the other risk besides the toads eating/biting the newt is the toxins. I have posted before that my first two newts didn't make it and I believe it was from the time they spent with the toads. I now have a newt in his own tank and he seems to be doing well."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Jessica, gosh I hope you didn't think I was condoning putting the newts and toads together. Absolutely not.

I was just curious as to how Wolfie has been able to have the two together without incident and I suspected that maybe they were around the same size.

jessica

Reaction score
Oh gosh sorry Denise, I didn't mean anything personal in case it read that way. I just know some people will still mix species even though many people have warned them not to mix them together. I know you're still newer to the forum and I don't know what you know, and believe me I don't know everything, but I wanted to warn you in case you were considering doing it that I had a bad experience. Sorry again
angel.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!