Fire sal observation

juraj

Reaction score
Country
Slovak Republic
This habitat it`s a small shallow well in a forest or something like that. It`s covered all the time and water never exceeds 10 °C year round. I`ve always been thinking it`s difficult for the animals to get in and out but I`ve never found anything drawned. Yesterday I visited this place after some time and I found completely metamorphosed juvenile there which was staying two feets under water together with larvae. It didn`t look starving from lack of oxygene or food but I thought it was better to leave it on land. It was quite odd and funny to photograph a real aquatic fire sal juv but don`t try this at home !

Attachments

• Dub1.jpg
    Dub1.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 453
  • Dub2.jpg
    Dub2.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 365
  • Dub3.jpg
    Dub3.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Dub4.jpg
    Dub4.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 477
  • Dub5.jpg
    Dub5.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 394
  • Dub6.jpg
    Dub6.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 377
  • Dub7.jpg
    Dub7.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 347
  • Dub8.jpg
    Dub8.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 389
Hi Juraj
never seen a completely morphed aquatic salamandra...what was the temperature of the water?

Very interesting Juraj. Maybe the low temperature could explain it's lesser need of oxygen? (Reduced metabolism)

That's quite surprising. A lot of species are adaptable, but I thought that Salamandra was one of the obligatorily terrestrial types.

sorry to bring back an old thread but i recently visited romania and tried my hand at a bit of herping, found millions of fire bellied toads (yellow ones) and a few grass snakes but i didnt find the fire slamanders that i was hoping to see. what are the weather conditions and envroment like in the surrounding area?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back