Illness/Sickness: Fire Salamander ate big chunk of moss

Jonny Doum

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just went to check on my fire salamander and make sure the temps and humidity are correct (they were), and I caught him in the middle of eating a mouthful of his substrate! The substrate is a mix of top soil and coconut husk, with beaked moss put under some of the hides. I think he mainly ate a chunk of the beaked moss. There were no food items in the tank when he did this.

I'm afraid of impaction, and I have also never heard of fire sallies just eating moss. What, if anything, should I do? Has anyone else had this problem?

My White's Tree Frog has done this although he took in the substrate w/ a cricket by accident and more than once. He has been fine - have had him almost a year.

Good luck. Keep an eye on him. Are you absolutely certain something wasn't lurking in the moss along the lines of food?

Dana

Hi Dana

No I guess I can't be 100% certain that something wasn't there, I think an earth worm may have escaped into the tank. He seems fine though. I am a little paranoid about his health. Thanks for the reply though, it helped put me at some ease.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back