Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire salamander breeding

ryan

Reaction score
I have 7 fire salamanders at home, that I keep on a moss substrate (this is because I heard that they like it slightly acidic). How exactly do you breed these? They seem to be bred in captivity regulary, from what I have seen. Thanks for your help.

Ryan

S

sergé

First lesson of keeping any caudate is to try and find out their natural way of living. Or just look around a bit, these questions have been answered before.
As Fire salamanders come from Europe (most captive specimens from middle Europe) they need some cycle in temperature. Winters should be colder (5-10 Celsius) and summers a bit warmer (15-20 Celsius). But...looking at the sheets on caudata culture can help you as well.

C

carlos

Hi, how about the humidity??? Are they need the humidity of change??? What level of humidity you prefer ??? Thank You

S

sergé

Yes, of course! Depending on where they come from...take your geografy maps and see what climate they normally have. Some have winterrains and summer droughts (so winter activity and in summer a resting period). Others have winter with frost and snow (so they need hibernation and have their active period from spring till autumn).
In general; I wouldn't keep them too moist. Better dry (like toads) and a small water bowl so they can pick up their water through this bowl. In spring and autumn you can spray abit, just to get they air filled with water, but make sure the ground never becomes wet or soaked with water.

C

carlos

Hi, What of fire salamander as your user picture??? I think my fire salamander is the same species. Do you have any suggestion for me to breed them??? Thank You!!

M

mark

I think the salamander in Serge's avatar is S.s.salamandra.
Am i right Serge?

S

sergé

Nope, and if you would read the miniscule letters it is read that it is a Salamandra algira from Chefchaouen, Morocco.
If you have these Carlos, then you should treat hem with summer rest periods and winters more mosit. Then they will breed themselves, or not. Mine don't breed every year, don't know why though. This species is much more delicate than most subspecies of Salamandra salamandra

M

mark

DOH!!!!
I must be turning blind
lol.gif

F

francesco

I've always been undecided between keeping my sals moist or dry
dizzy.gif
. So, is it better to keep them dry? And why?
frog.gif

C

carlos

Hi, What is the "summer rest periods"??? Is this means that i should be warmer (above 20-26C) and more dry (above 50%-60%)??? Thank You!!!

S

sergé

Depending on the subspecies, f.i S.s. gigliolli and S.s. bernardezi I wouldn't keep to dry, but give them dry spots within the tank, so they can decide themselves. With f.i. S. s. gallaica I have good experiences with keeping the in leaflitter that was more or less dry (of course not cork dry).
A summer rest period is temperatures around 20 degrees (18-22) for the summer period. If you have a tank with 5-10 cm. leaflitter you will see hardly no activity, and the animals will be under their covers. You can let the leaf litter dry out in one place and keep it a bit moist in the other part where you place the water bowl. An open terrarium (with fine maze cover or just plain open with glass strips to prevent them from escaping) is the easiest way to make sure your terrarium soil doesn't become too wet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1