Fire salamander food refusal?

skaram00sh

Reaction score
Country
England
I picked up a healthy male fire salamander and was told he last ate the day before i got him. Moved him into his new enclosure, let him settle for a day then offered a dendrobaena earthworm. He ignored it so i tried one of my porcellio laevis isopods. Same reaction, he just doesn't seem interested. Should i be worried or is it normal for them to refuse food for a few days after being in a new environment?

If he's looking healthy and his enclosure is correct I'd say he's just settling in. If he ate the day before you got him he's probably not that hungry yet anyway.

Also, perhaps it’s the type of food...? What was the place feeding him? By tongs or allowing them to hunt?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back