Firebelly newt has big bubble/swelling in throat area, help!!

patogracho

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I bought a firebelly newt about a week ago and he looked fine, but over the past couple days he developed a big bubble/swelling in his throat (the whole underside of his head i guess), I don't know if it's swelling or if that's normal but it definitely doesn't look normal, any ideas?

I've attached before and after pictures, thank you!

Attachments

• newtbefore01.jpg
    newtbefore01.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,489
  • newtafter01.jpg
    newtafter01.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 4,741
  • newtafter02.jpg
    newtafter02.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,388
I would think that he might have swallowed something. Check his mouth.

So if he did swallow a rock or something, what would be the best way of getting it out without injuring him?

To examine the inside of its mouth is a delicate procedure that probably requires at least two people. I would recommend getting help from a vet, if at all possible. It is possible to crack open the mouth using a laminated card or other smooth thin object, but you really risk injuring the animal, so this isn't to be undertaken lightly.

The other possible cause besides a rock is infectious stamatitis (mouth infection or mouth rot). Antibiotics would be the treatment. But first you have to determine if it's an object or not. Did the swelling develop suddenly, or gradually?

I think it was more gradual but I'm not quite sure, I tried opening his mouth to see inside, the bubble is very soft and seems to be full of air or something because you can just push on it and that part of the skin is very loose. Also it almost pulses sometimes when I'm watching him. When I'd open his mouth a pushed (very lightly!) on the bubble, some clear thing would come out of its mouth, is that just what a newt's tongue looks like?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back