Firebelly newt won't eat

Im selling my ps2 for 30. I'm planning to spend it all on my firebelly newt. What should i get him? Im probley getting 2 more so they'll breed later on but what should i get?

I think you should wait until everything with this newt works out also, i would not get another newt from a petstore but from a breeder because of the horrible conditions WC newts are put through to get to the petstore, and they would have to be quarantined anyway. And if you wanted anymore newts anyway you would have to upgrade your tank to at least a 10 gallon. You could instead put that money towards plants like java moss and java fern which grows well with low light. Or a sponge filter and air pump if you dont have one already.

Ok thnx ill probley buy the mini elite filter. I already have plants so once everything works out ill try to find somone on caudate to sell me a firebelly newt.

Ok thnx ill probley buy the mini elite filter. I already have plants so once everything works out ill try to find somone on caudate to sell me a firebelly newt.
Well if you get enough live plants a filter like that wont even be required if we're thinking about the same kind of filter haha.

I also belive a filter wont be required but what about picking up small debris. My plants a planted in a plastic cup into my newt tank.

You can use a turkey baster or siphon and suck out any debris and uneaten food.

Thnx for the turkey batter idea! BIG news my newt has finally become aquatic he barley used the diy dock! I was wondering if i can buy some earthworms from someone. I'm looking to spend 10 dollars including shipping about 30 worms. I'm not going to pay with paypal but ship the money. My mother would never allow to buy worms so I'm wondering if anyone is intrested or make a cheap deal because im gonna breed them

Thnx for the turkey batter idea! BIG news my newt has finally become aquatic he barley used the diy dock! I was wondering if i can buy some earthworms from someone. I'm looking to spend 10 dollars including shipping about 30 worms. I'm not going to pay with paypal but ship the money. My mother would never allow to buy worms so I'm wondering if anyone is intrested or make a cheap deal because im gonna breed them

Species Wanted, Items Sought - Wanted in the USA at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal

Try asking there ^

You should post pictures of him and his setup ^^

I will post pictures in a little while when i make my setup look more nicer :lick::D

Should I be worried if he starts shedding should i do something after he stops shedding?

Shedding is normal. You don't need to do anything. Well, if he eats the skin he sheds than its fine, but if not, than you may want to turkey baster it out. :lick:

Should I be worried if he starts shedding should i do something after he stops shedding?

Yeah, like he said shedding should be normal unless its bits and pieces peeling off, if he eats it thats normal too lol.

I like when i see the little glove where their hands were :D

Ya its really cool when they shed especially the glove part. He ate his shed which is good now he wont starve without food. I bought a cascade mini filter for him and turned to lowest setting. He used the dock yesterday but only for 3 min and back to swimming im gonna wait 3 days so he gets hungry then I'll try to feed him wish me luck!:rofl:
-yevgeniy

I hear tanks can be really cheap in the US so my advice is to spend that money on a larger tank. The bare minimum would be 10 gallons but it would be much better to go with a 20 gallon. Conditions will be far more stable and maintenance will become minimal, specially if you stuff it full of live plants.
To be perfectly honest, after 3 months and if the animal is already at the stage where you can see the bones, the chances of it surviving are quite low. Please don´t buy any more newts from pet-shops. The market of WC imports is a dreadful thing and by buying these animals you are supporting it and the hundreds of lives it takes every year.
If you want to get more newts you have a TONE of learning to do first. Read until your eyes bleed! Prepare a nice big tank, cycle it, prepare food cultures, learn everything you need to know and much more and THEN think about which species is most suitable for you and about trying to find breeders. That way you won´t make the same mistakes and your chances of enjoying this hobby and your animals having a long, lovely life will be much better.

I'm soon gonna be upgrading to a ten gallon. I know the animal cruelty newts are put in the pet trade, but i bought one because they were for 2 dollars and there's no breeders in nyc. Plus if i wanted to buy a newt online or here shipping will be 15 dollars but i wont be buying newts from pet store anymore! :rofl:

Any updates at all? Is it eating yet? Also, you mentioned you got a pump. I don't know if it's been addressed yet, but H. orientalis do not like water currents, so it's unnecessary.

Remember firebellies like lots and lots and lots of live plants in their water :p Mine refused water until i put them in lol
How much water are you using in your tank?

Thanks man a miracle happened because of you and jbrad i put lots of plants and decor my lots i mean lots and he went into the water. Thnx to jbrad i dropped like 10 ice cubes to make the water cold then i fed him sinking PELLETS! Can you belive it he ate the pellets !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back