First Axolotl!

appollo8228

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Got my first Axolotl a few days ago! He's doing great, eating blood worms. No problems so far, he's a JFP wild type. About two inches or so. He's in a 10 gallon tank.
8enegyse.jpg
dusesu7u.jpg
y6a7y5yv.jpg
a8unasy7.jpg

EggsOwado
–Smitherzzzzzz

Very cute!

I would invest in a feeding jar if you don't have one. Sand can cause impaction in little lotls (5" and under).

I keep 3 2 inch lotls on sand but I hand feed mine with tweezers and don't let them eat off the ground and the sand grain size is 0.25mm-0.75mm.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

And it's GFP not JFP

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I'm a little concerned about that snail. Snails can pose several hazards to axolotls. First, they can be swallowed and with a shell that size, this could prove problematic for your lotl. Second, they can latch onto your axie and suck at its slime coat, or its gills or even its eyes. Nasty. Third, some snails have this nasty habit of amputating pieces of your lotl or even cutting their throats by 'clamping down' with the sharp edge of their shells (I read a horrible post about this - see Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters).

I'm a little concerned about that snail. Snails can pose several hazards to axolotls. First, they can be swallowed and with a shell that size, this could prove problematic for your lotl. Second, they can latch onto your axie and suck at its slime coat, or its gills or even its eyes. Nasty. Third, some snails have this nasty habit of amputating pieces of your lotl or even cutting their throats by 'clamping down' with the sharp edge of their shells (I read a horrible post about this - see Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters).

I'm in the possession of this axolotl now due to some problems with his family not complying with it's care, and he's with my other 3 that are about the same size, and the 3 snails with all 4 of them, the snails are fine. They clean the algae of the deco and glass and they eat any uneaten food, never have I see my snails go for the axolotls, and if they do, the axies usually bite at their tentacles or eyes for lack of a better word. The snails don't pose a threat the way I see it until the axolotl reaches a big size, big enough to get the snail in his mouth, and even then, the risk is VERRRY LOW, but at that point, I'd either remove the snails entirely or remove them and get some big snails that they couldn't fit in their mouth. The snails are very docile and don't care too much about the axies, besides pooping all the time, they're good to have with them, especially the babies this size, pooping all the time, the snails help clean up a bit, even though they don't "eat" the poop, they eat some stuff inside of it.

I have 3 snails with my 2 six inchers, and they're fine, the axolotl's head can't get stuck like that nor can the axolotl eat the snail. And the baby that the OP had, he's around 4 inches or more now, as stated earlier, he's in a 30 gallon with 3 snails and he can't eat the snails obviously nor can he get his head stuck in the snail, or it'd be near impossible for him to, he'd have to SHOVE his head in there, with force. I've never seen my snails suck onto my axolotl AT ALL, and if the snail gets close to the axolotl, like behind him and freaks him out, the lotl just moves away from it, but even this rarely happens, the snails don't really show interest in the axolotls whatsoever.

I'm sorry if I come off as irresponsible, or ignorant, but that's just what I believe, when they get bigger, and can swallow the snails, I'll remove them and not stick to snails anymore, or as I said earlier, get bigger snails that they couldn't possibly fit in their mouth. I just don't see any of the risks that you stated as viable for axolotls at basically any size unless they're close to what his axolotl was when he posted this originally, unlike the size he is now, 4 inches and above should be fine, unless we're talking about adult size that can swallow the snail, I'd intervene if that was the case.

I'm in the possession of this axolotl now due to some problems with his family not complying with it's care, and he's with my other 3 that are about the same size, and the 3 snails with all 4 of them, the snails are fine. They clean the algae of the deco and glass and they eat any uneaten food, never have I see my snails go for the axolotls, and if they do, the axies usually bite at their tentacles or eyes for lack of a better word. The snails don't pose a threat the way I see it until the axolotl reaches a big size, big enough to get the snail in his mouth, and even then, the risk is VERRRY LOW, but at that point, I'd either remove the snails entirely or remove them and get some big snails that they couldn't fit in their mouth. The snails are very docile and don't care too much about the axies, besides pooping all the time, they're good to have with them, especially the babies this size, pooping all the time, the snails help clean up a bit, even though they don't "eat" the poop, they eat some stuff inside of it.

I have 3 snails with my 2 six inchers, and they're fine, the axolotl's head can't get stuck like that nor can the axolotl eat the snail. And the baby that the OP had, he's around 4 inches or more now, as stated earlier, he's in a 30 gallon with 3 snails and he can't eat the snails obviously nor can he get his head stuck in the snail, or it'd be near impossible for him to, he'd have to SHOVE his head in there, with force. I've never seen my snails suck onto my axolotl AT ALL, and if the snail gets close to the axolotl, like behind him and freaks him out, the lotl just moves away from it, but even this rarely happens, the snails don't really show interest in the axolotls whatsoever.

I'm sorry if I come off as irresponsible, or ignorant, but that's just what I believe, when they get bigger, and can swallow the snails, I'll remove them and not stick to snails anymore, or as I said earlier, get bigger snails that they couldn't possibly fit in their mouth. I just don't see any of the risks that you stated as viable for axolotls at basically any size unless they're close to what his axolotl was when he posted this originally, unlike the size he is now, 4 inches and above should be fine, unless we're talking about adult size that can swallow the snail, I'd intervene if that was the case.
I agree with you axolotl boy. While there have been some disasters... when my axi was a baby he lived with a mystery snail named henry. When Stanley got a little bigger and i read the disaster stories, I got worried and moved Henry to another tank. Now that Stanley is about 10 inches, he is with a giant trapdoor snail about as big as a golf ball. They avoid each other. Heck that snail is lazy and sleeps most the time. Haven't had any problems.
With proper care it should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back