First breeding project?

Boosh96

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm just wondering, what species of newt/salamander would be the most suitable species for a first Caudate breeding project? I already plan on working with some different frog species and maybe some reptiles, but I also want to work with one or a handful of newt and/or salamander species. I'd appreciate the help!

I´d recommend Pleurodeles waltl as they are ridiculously easy to breed and very rewarding.
I don´t know exactly what you mean by "working with" but if you are just looking for an ideal caudate species, P.waltl is your friend.

I agree with Rodrigo's recommendation, and I would also suggest Cynops cyanurus/chenggongensis. Very easy to breed. Crested newts (Triturus genus) are also easy, but it bit less temperature-tolerant. Newts in general need to be kept cool, but P. waltl and C. cyanurus are a couple of the most warmth-tolerant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back